Will stihl m-tronic compensate for 32:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm an old 2 stroker, from air cooled motorcycle days.
We often ran 32:1. More oil, more compression. But, it'd foul a plug too.
Then EFI came along. Now, fouled plugs were less. Then, liquid cooled engines. Ahhh! Yes! Power!
Anyway, more oil, means larger jets, or open the H and L jets.
But, what of these fancy systems? EPA is a menace to my way of thinking...
N

IMO

should do ok.

I run my autotune 562 at between 35:1 and 40:1 depending on how good i am at pouring the oil that day.

Runs great. Plug last a long time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-tronic adjusts your fuel mix based on engine response at the flywheel. Regardless of fuel mix ratio, octane, or anything else, the carb gets adjusted real time (while you're working) to optimize whatever fuel is in the tank. So, yes, it should simply open up (richen) the fuel mix a bit more until the engine performance is optimized for that particular fuel mix ratio. Happens quickly and with no operator input required. Just pour in your mix and start cutting!

Keep in mind that two stroke dirt bikes make many times more hp per cc than a chain saw. And unlike dirt bikes, saws are fan cooled. Saws are very under stressed compared to dirt bikes. For example a 92cc saw (MS661) makes 7.2 hp while an 85cc dirt bike (KTM SX85) makes 25. With good synthetic oil I don't see a need for more than 50:1 in saws except perhaps for milling.

Keep in mind that two stroke dirt bikes make many times more hp per cc than a chain saw. And unlike dirt bikes, saws are fan cooled. Saws are very under stressed compared to dirt bikes. For example a 92cc saw (MS661) makes 7.2 hp while an 85cc dirt bike (KTM SX85) makes 25. With good synthetic oil I don't see a need for more than 50:1 in saws except perhaps for milling.

Saws do run at max RPMs, so margin for error is less. More oil is the cushion for varying conditions.

I can find little argument about stated issues. I took many race motors and put them in to another level of extreme performance with expected results. At times they disintegrated as expected. The auto tuned saws of today seem to adjust very well. I prefer the older technology with known results. I mix at about 34:1 with great results in older saws. The auto tuned systems are by far more difficult to make repairs in the field so they do not apply for my needs at this time. However there will likely be a time when I will have several self tuning saws fueled up for the next batch of trees. Thanks

Latest posts

Back