Will They Be Around In 43 Years?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraMtns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been really enjoying playing around with the old Mac saws. And it got me thinking about the newer auto tune saws. With how fast electronic technology changes will the auto tune saws be around in 43 years? Now when it comes down to it these saws are just fast air pumps. The main components will still be in working order and maybe even in better condition than these old Macs because the electronic carb keeps these saws in their happy spot - better than me with a screw driver.

If you have a smart phone think of it this way. At some point the phone can't be updated but will keep working.

What do you guys think? Will we have piles of 562/555 and now 572 that mechanically work great but won't have electronic carbs to run them?

I haven't even excepted the concept of auto-tune, I have only owned new xtorq to convert to pre 2010
I've been crunching the numbers and wondering if I can run the same pre xtorq model until retirement.

Thats awesome. I bet you can do it.

I want to get a 365/372 before the old stock drys up and convert it to a pre 2010.

I agree with Steve, in fact I started using reconditioned 371/365/372 in 2008 -2014, two full years before the change.
Never had a new crank. Gound up rebuilds otherwise. All his customers that did have crank big end failures to my knowledge, happened in the first day. I would contribute that to possible combinations of much bigger power & tighter/too tight bottom ends. (Different gasket thicknesses) Possible a weakness that was undetectably in his inspection. A good portion were utility line slashing saws that came from Asplundha or Davey tree too so the abuse was undeniable.
I would see many come in with the nylon guide missing from the chain cover and then they would run it real tight, taking out the bottom bearing

They are a very simple saw really.
I don't know how worth it it is for the average guy to buy and convert a new saw back to a 372 though.
Coast Fallers pay $2,000 CND for a new ported conversion. Me, I can transfer ported top ends & carb over with new rings and manifold. I could even sell the odd timed out bottom end with new xtorq cover, cylinder manifold & carb to recover some conversion difference. Kind of like a core return.
For you that may not have any "372" stock then that may not be the best way to go unless another 572/565 promotional convention comes up.
I believe the 365 price was $500USD & $600 for 372.
Apart from that, You will see the odd OE come through the trading post from $850 - $900, (no wrap) ported and never even had the bottom end broken in fully. That's what you want Nick.
Another good one for you would be to price out an OEM crank and look at your opinions there? You just don't want anything stripped. Tanks are OK because you just use the 357/359 bolts.
You will sometimes see some ported ones with no top end time and good covers, bearing ect. I've never had a crank failure though in 21yrs use even on the reconditioned ones. I had one OEM bottom bearing go after about 4 months on a 2007, 372 and I was gifted a brand new ported 2171 a few yrs later by my saw builder and I bent the crank in a month and give it back.
IDK if the cranks are the same? The saws seem noticeably lighter.
Externally you really only need new guides/plates, springs, sprocket, maybe throttle cable and choke and you wouldn't no the difference blindfolded.
Like a small block Chevy in a muscle car. Comes apart and goes together like a zipper.
A very simple saw.

Still shows on their website....not that their appearance there guarantees they are still being made.
they only stopped making the 372 oe last year out of country. @Robin Wood has been selling new 2016 this year.
He had another batch and as of 11 weeks ago he had one left I'm certain.
If I had the money I would have taken every one.
They will likely overlap the 365/372 for another year after the new releases. You may see the 365 on shelves up to late 2020 "here".
The 365w (wrap) has been discontinued as it looks like they are going to simplify it from the factories. Heat and falling wrap are going kits now.
Assuming with the same cost spread with standard vs wrap vs wrap and heat as before with the initial new purchases.

Yeah I heard Saw Troll say that just last week. They still make 61 as well.
Assuming that would be the 2nd generation 61.
Spike 60 had reasently said 288, if you could believe. That amazes me.
I would assume they will just be starting the 365/372 xtorq production there this last year. It could run another 20 yrs? Husqvarna has something for everyone still.

Yeah I heard Saw Troll say that just last week. They still make 61 as well.
Assuming that would be the 2nd generation 61.
Spike 60 had reasently said 288, if you could believe. That amazes me.
I would assume they will just be starting the 365/372 xtorq production there this last year. It could run another 20 yrs? Husqvarna has something for everyone still.

I want to build something like this but with full wrap bars.

It would be cool if someone would start importing the older saws. My first saw was a 281.

Heck you can still get the 55 and 272 in Brazil. I'm surprised nobody has imported one yet.

I have priced saws from Brazil before.
A Husqvarna 55 is R$2000, or about €520. A 288XP is R$2800, meaning €725 and change.
On top of that you need to put shipping fees and custom duties (and VAT where it applies) AND pay somebody locally to partially disassemble the saw, so you can have it shipped as "brand new chainsaw spare parts" and avoid a lot of headaches if the package is opened.
The same applies to Stihl's and Echo's sold in South-East Asia: if you really really want a brand new 070 or a CS1201 you will end up paying it a whole lot more than it's worth.

You may get lucky and find some for sale in Eastern Europe, but the posts there are often erratic to say the least and there's a lot of rascality associated with the chainsaw business.

Back