Will this help beam strength

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about the I beam I planned on using only being 1/4" thick. I found some 6x24x1/2" steel plates and was thinking of welding them on the top of the beam to help beef it up a bit. Will this be worthwhile or will the beam still warp if wood is tough/knotty?

Thanks,
Rob

I added another 1/4" to the top of my beam after using it for a couple of weeks. I could see it flexing.,but now it stays straight. It's reinforced a little more on the lower half also,but I don't know if it was needed.

I posted a few days ago about the I beam I planned on using only being 1/4" thick. I found some 6x24x1/2" steel plates and was thinking of welding them on the top of the beam to help beef it up a bit. Will this be worthwhile or will the beam still warp if wood is tough/knotty?

Thanks,
Rob

Don't know what what kind of hyraulics you plan to run, but anything less than 1/2 " only works on our smallest splitters W/ a 16 GPM pump. The bigger splitters have a 8 x 12 H - beam with a 1-1/2 or 2 " mill plate on the top . Tired of bending stuff!!

Thanks,
Rob

Rob.....

I kinda have the feeling that you should try to find something thicker! Do you want to build it now and only have to rebuild it down the road?

Latest posts

Back