Will this tree make it? Can I do anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDude

Reaction score
D

Is there hope for this tree? A couple years back I had a new water line put in to my home and the roots must have been damaged. I bought some fertilizing spikes, but can I do anything else? Thank you sooooo much in advance.

oIMG_2568.JPG IMG_2569.JPG

1st thing, plant a tree underneath in an orientation that mitigates good location on the property and removal of the tree in question without too much interference. 2nd thing, remove the dead portion and probably reduce (probably lighly to start)pthe live portion to help prevent failure in a tree with likely declining structural integrity. 3rd thing, hope for the best prepare for the worst. good luck. if all goes well you get a few years to a few decades of shade while the planted tree establishes. otherwise do the common thing and cut it down and plant a new one. but I like the progressive approach when viable. ideally you utilize staged removal (staged reduction for likely short term as opposed to long term) while shifting the canopy to the new tree. this way you always have some shade, which is not just good for people, but also the young tree. in an exposed setting the old nurses the young to establishment, mitigating wind and drought, as well as growing a less dense, more upright crown for the new tree. basically, mitigating the negative effects of otherwise open grown situations, and instead mimicking the effects found in forest grown situations. and as a derail or a side thought, this is why we need to have more urban areas with several stems in one plot instead of one stem per plot. of course you trade off the aesthetic of a perfectly shaped crown but you gain the advantage of overlapping the generations. you never have an empty spot, or an empty street. just like we should appreciate and consider the cultures of people who have 3 generations of family living under one roof. I wish I spent more time learning from my grandparents before they were gone. in my front yard I planted an Ironwood beside my maple wondering if they are too close. of course they are too close but that's not the point. they are not too close in age and that's good. so once my maple looks like the tree in the pic, the replacement will likely be there. and should the maple go, then it's time to plant another tree near the Ironwood. I know this is in retrospect but looking forward as well. good luck with your tree.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. So, basically, cut back the dead portion? Then, hope for the part that's alive to fight the disease/damage. Thank you so much. I have sprinklers throughout my yard, so planting trees is a difficult proposition. However, I might try to plant something on the other side. I live in a neighborhood with established trees.

It's a Red Oak. The leaves on the other side are just barely coming in hence the odd shape. I was just hoping there would be something I could do to help this tree pull through.

It seemed to happen 2 years after I dug up a new water line to my house. Then, this past season I noticed the problem at the base of the tree on the side that has no leaves. I had a guy prune it back last year and he said to fertilize the tree. He thought the leaves would grow back. The one main branch that comes out from the tree had some leaves last year. Sadly, when the new leaves came in about 2 weeks ago, there was nothing on this side. Hence, I'm starting to worry. Is there anything I can do? Should I just have the tree guy cut off the branches that are dead in hopes the tree as a whole survives? Is there a way to know for sure what is going on with this tree?

Thank you sooooo much in advance,

I probably wouldn't invest in pruning yet. See what happens in the next few months. If it is progresses, it is probably removal time. Pruning off the dead now vs. next fall isn't going to change anything. Just in case you don't know: oaks shouldn't be pruned during the growing season (to prevent Oak wilt)...so put it in a holding pattern. Fertilizer won't fix dead. If you want to fertilize, get a soil test first to see what is lacking. It has been suggested that fertilizing without a soil test is malpractice...

Back