Willow Oak pests?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went out to check a fellows trees as he stated they had a problem. The leaves were not nearly as thick as they should be and several smaller dead limbs. I first thought it could have been a late frost on tender new leaves but found what looks to be traces of insect damage. I am sorry I don't have pictures but feel certain that is the case.

He has several of these trees I would guess were transplanted to his property 15 years ago. I know the landscaper who transplanted these as we have had discussions in the past about his leaving wire baskets as well as all of the straps used in transporting and handling of these. He never removes it and thinks it is completely ok. I have removed several trees over the years that he has planted and am convinced the basket and straps have very negative effects on the trees,, girdled roots especially . I don't think this is the problem in this case but it could be associated with the overall poor health of the trees. Some of the trees do look ok bust most are thinning and don't look good. I will try and get a few photos and post for you to examine.

I wanted to ask if there are pest that are specific to these trees that are active at this time of year? I appreciate any help or advice.

I'll get some pictures in the morning.

Not an individual leaf thickness but the overall number of leaves on the tree.

My tenth grade education shows up a lot when I'm trying to discuss things, sorry.

caterpillars? gypsy moth? Quercus phellos is a tough customer. I think you may be on to the causal issue: piss poor planting. What can be done 15 years after the event? root rx, root invigoration, soil testing, ie compaction, nutrition, potential hydrogen value. stressed trees abandon defense to allocate energies elsewhere. spraying for instance of some insect issue is just a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.
sell cultural remediation.

The bigger concern is tree health overall. Please post a pic of the roots growing from the stem.

Back