• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Winch down a hazard poplar

Haplo

Haplo

ArboristSite Lurker
There's a 100ft poplar with a big chest high cavity. Basically a 4" thick wall (along the circumference) is holding this thing up. Can't climb it and power lines and road 40 ft away. I could climb the tree next to it, then swing over and attach a rope. The idea is winch it over till the bottom blows out at the cavity. It's in the woods and I can't winch it from the truck so the winch has to be tree-mounted. Largest tree-mounted winch I can find is 2,500 lb pull.

Questions:
Is 2,500 lb pull sufficient to blow the bottom out?
Is there a larger capacity tree-mounted winch that you know of?

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
If tied too high the tree breaks if too low no power, use multiple ropes 3 of them, 2 to hold it from falling back as anchors,one pull line in middle. This is how I might do it not recommended to anyone else DYOD! Dont rush this!

rayjay257

rayjay257

ArboristSite Operative
Buy some pulley blocks and create some mechanical advantage. This is 3 to 1. The root ball creaked but nothing more. I ended up sectioning it out. I only had a garden tractor pulling so maybe 300 lbs of pull X 3 = 900 at the chain.

rayjay257

rayjay257

ArboristSite Operative
BTW, Harbor Freight has some Haul Master pulley blocks for $14ish which is a pretty good deal. Just be sure the bearing surface is well lubed on any of these sorts of pulley blocks [ also called sheave blocks ].