Winch down a hazard poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haplo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There's a 100ft poplar with a big chest high cavity. Basically a 4" thick wall (along the circumference) is holding this thing up. Can't climb it and power lines and road 40 ft away. I could climb the tree next to it, then swing over and attach a rope. The idea is winch it over till the bottom blows out at the cavity. It's in the woods and I can't winch it from the truck so the winch has to be tree-mounted. Largest tree-mounted winch I can find is 2,500 lb pull.

Questions:
Is 2,500 lb pull sufficient to blow the bottom out?
Is there a larger capacity tree-mounted winch that you know of?

Buy some pulley blocks and create some mechanical advantage. This is 3 to 1. The root ball creaked but nothing more. I ended up sectioning it out. I only had a garden tractor pulling so maybe 300 lbs of pull X 3 = 900 at the chain.

zinjOJM.jpg

BTW, Harbor Freight has some Haul Master pulley blocks for $14ish which is a pretty good deal. Just be sure the bearing surface is well lubed on any of these sorts of pulley blocks [ also called sheave blocks ].

Back