Winch style processors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve been dreaming more and more of a firewood processor! For the wood I cut and the EAB just arriving I’ve been cutting in woods and a bunch of fence lines so to me I’m thinking a winch style processor makes sense tree length in a field or in the woods so as I’m dreaming of these all I really see for this is the Hudson wolverine and Wallenstein are there any others with a winch?

What about a ‘Chomper’? I don’t think they are made any more but they sure looked cool for tree length!

I watched a Wallenstein be operated for a while. What struck me was the amount of time the operator spent pulling the line out and hooking up the next log. Seemed to me that more than half his time was spent cabling logs. And the logs get dragged through the dirt meaning duller chains.

For our situation with logs on a pile and access to a tractor it seemed inefficient. And there is no way to speed up the process with a second operator, whereas with one person loading and one processing on ours we basically double output.

My advice - Watch a bunch of videos or watch one being operated in person.
I have a friend owns one and he likes it for his needs. It wasn’t right for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually just got there catalog in the mail today I’ve known that the Wolverine m is the manual the a is the automatic n Badger is best for winch style.. I like the “A” I’d be doing lots of tree length stuff on fence lines and in woods so re cabling on a 8-10 ft log would be less because it would be more 30 plus tree lengths otherwise shorter lengths I think I’d be looking at a DYNA of sorts with log loader

Back