Wind Blown Barber Chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironpirate

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a call today and the client said that the wind had caused one of his trees to split. This is what I found. I have felled alot of trees and some pretty hairy ones at that but this one is giving me pause. The fact that it is hung in another tree has me second guessing the dynamics that will occur if I were to cut it. Every option that I have tried to come up with to get it down safely seems to have major risk factors. Might be a good one to let nature take its course. Any thoughts on how to handle this safely? I would wrap the trunk with a logging chain for sure if I do anything with it for starters....anything else?
6985479b342b8a06b240cde465b07265.jpg
32e217f420903018e3bd3c09b366d92c.jpg
ef9c321651c123ac50483fdb56d5ba49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not there so I can’t say for sure, but I would consider ripping the split off with machinery and then assess if the balance can be safely cut and pulled down. If not, then leave it to nature or someone of greater skill. No chain around the trunk. Ron

I wish I could get machinery to it. It's just a little too steep...side of a mountain. I guess with the right operator you may be able to get in there but that person isn't me.

Is there anything within the range of the fall of that tree? Looks like the split tree is hung very well in the other one, meaning it's going to be a LONG time before wind brings it down.

IF that tree can go anywhere and not hit anything AND nobody really walks around in the fall zone of the tree, leave it. It's going to be a while though, like I said.

If there's nothing in the fall zone of either tree AND people do generally live/work/play in the fall zone it needs to be removed AND the leaning tree is locked heavily with the upright tree(which it looks like it is). I personally would get a rope up in the split tree as far up as I could without risk of breaking off and lock it off against a tree 180º from it's current lean OR cheat slightly towards your falling direction. Pull it just enough to see movement off the other tree with a come along or 5-1 system backed up with a porta-wrap to hold the line in a locked position. The goal here is to keep it from pushing the other tree over as you fall it. Prob 3/4" line here and a big port. Then I would get another line up in the tree it's leaning into and pull 90º from the lean of the split tree. If they have a general lean in one of those two directions pick that way OR the leaning tree is only heavily locked in one direction, make sure you're falling the non-leaning tree so that the leaning tree cannot pull free off the tree you're falling. Again, come along or 5-1(since you can't get machines in there). Get a face cut in it, bore it, set the hinge, tighten up the rope, and cut the strap/trigger. This should keep you out of the danger zone as much as possible and send both trees somewhere safe. The leaner looks like it's compromised enough that it will break off and not hold up the other tree. I've done this on a couple situations like this personally and it worked every time...

You could also, possibly get those two lines in the leaning tree and pull the tree back upright and then pull it over to one direction or the other. Depending on how much pulling power you have and where you can get the lines...I would only attempt this if the other tree is 100% NOT able to be removed for some ridiculous reason. Make sure nobody is within the fall zone of that tree if you do this one though...there's no telling where it could get off to. This would also require some very advanced pulling techniques that allow for re-setting and pulling numerous times on the same line.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'M NOT THERE!!! This is an initial reaction to 3 pictures on the internet. This plan is in no way fool proof and depends heavily upon how the trees are interlocked and both of their respective leans. I would have to actually see the trees in person to get a solid feeling. Please don't take this advice if you're not 100% confident in your abilities to set lines, lock off lines, put the appropriate amount of tension on those lines, and send those trees where they need to go.

IF there ARE dwellings within the fall zone of either of those trees, go ahead and let someone with a crane piece that bad boy out of there.

Nothing wrong with saying "no" and going home alive!

As others have said, not there, so things might change drastically looking at it in person.

1) leave it. I work with a lot of woodland owners. When I see trees like that or spring poles, etc. I tell them "there's nothing here worth dying over."

2) can you get a rope around the bottom of the split part with 3:1 or 5:1 pulley system and pull the split further open while being 100' away? Finishing the split may cause it to fall...

3) same idea, but set the rope high and pull it out of the other tree to one side or the other depending on how it is hung?

Those are the preferred options because they keep you away from the tree when it falls in somewhat unpredictable directions.

4) can it be felled 90 degrees to the split? Would have to roll out of the other tree for that to work, but can't see how it is hung up there enough to see if that would happen.

5) is felling the other tree an option? Either 90 degrees or in the same direction of the leaner. Generally not a good plan? But if it is very clear which way everything is going it could be done safely. I doubt though we can predict with high enough certainty how that split continues.

5) That tree looks like the king of the forest...but is there a big tree nearby that you can throw onto it? You'd want it to have a clear path and be really moving when it made the hit. Obviously you risk hanging a second tree if it doesn't work. You also need to get the heck out of there (45 degree escape route) because when the new tree hits something that big it may get pushed back. Less chance if you leave a hinge as you always should and the back cut is a little above the face cut...but still can happen.

Or send in a crane, grapple saw, or cable skidder.

I do not know enough to offer advice, but can throw out ideas to be shot down. If the tree needs to come down (and perhaps because of people, and especially children, living in the vicinity who would not know enough to stay clear six months from now) and if a person wanted to do the job, the biggest problem seems to be how to cut the tree while remaining in a position of safety. Since bringing in appropriate equipment is apparently not an option on the hillside, creativity becomes important.

Consider a rope saw. While normally used to cut high limbs, conceivably the same thing could be used to cut the trunk, and do so from a safe distance. It probably would be good to plan for multiple rope saws so when the first ones become jammed or break there are more on hand to complete the job.

Consider a chainsaw to be sacrificed. Attach it to something that will function as an arm and pivot, bringing the cutting side of the saw in contact with the trunk. Have the arm set up so you can pull the saw against the trunk from a distance -- like a rope. It would not be pretty, and it seems to me it could easily make the situation worse, but it could give a way to cut from a position of safety.

Now for my favorite. Consider explosives detonated from a position of safety. Disclaimer -- everything I know about cutting trees with explosives I learned from watching Mission Impossible.

But . . . I look at the buildings downslope in the photo and wonder if it would be possible to control where the tree would go after being cut free. Getting the tree on the ground may not be the hardest part of the job. Before doing such a job one would be well advised to ensure liability and workers' comp insurance are all up to date.

Well, All is well. I went back to take another look at the tree and the homeowner call and said he had given the job to another company. I'm not sad about it either...upon a second I section I found the neighbors well which was within striking distance of the tree and directly underneath it. So, I don't usually like to walk away from job but this one is an exception. If for the liability issues alone much less the danger involved. I actually went on to bid more work that day that was much less dangerous and worth more than this take down would have been. Live to fight another day!

It’s a tough call without being there. I’m not saw shy I lost new saws before due to gushes of high winds. One saw loss was enough. I got better. Not knowing what’s on the right I’d chain the split together and drop it as a whole. A guess

Latest posts

Back