Windowed vs Non Windowed Piston for Husqvarna 268 Open Port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskyvarnya Saws

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to purchase an aftermarket piston for a Husqvarna 268 with an open port cylinder. I have the option of windowed or non windowed piston at around the same price (I think the windowed version was actually a little cheaper). After doing some looking around, I have read the opinion that an open port cylinder may run better with a windowed piston, or at the least it should perform as it did before with the stock non windowed piston. If anyone has an opinion on, or experience with this, I would be interested in hearing it.

All I can add is that I have installed windowed pistons in open port saws and they ran fine and still run fine. I cannot say they ran with more power as they were just in for rebuilds.
Yep.......no real advantage with a windowed piston in an open port Gilardoni 268 cyl.....as you said will run ok that way but just as well off with the "Slab Side" OEM style piston. Skirting is about the same on either one...both single ring. One thing to remember is that though a windowed piston will run fine in an open port cyl it doesn't work the other way around......"Slab side" piston won't run well at all in a closed port cyl.

Back