Wisdom on a starter saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosie39j

Reaction score
I'm finally chucking the Craftsman and getting a real saw. The Craftsman is an anchor and never starts, throws chains like crazy (admittedly, I am probably to blame). I use a saw once a month or so at the deer lease or on the trail behind my house, seldom cut anything bigger than 8 inches, mostly limbs and dead and down, no firewood as I am a gaslogs guy. I want something light, reliable and easy to start and keep running. I've looked at a Stihl 021 for $220, or a Stihl 290 for 280 - the 290 seems bulkier than what I want. Our Husky dealer here is not my favorite and less convenient to me, so I've about decided Stihl over the Husky 55. Any advice?

You may wish to look at Stihl, 009. It is lightweight, and will have enough power for what you want it to do. I have one, with 13 in bar and chain and love using it. You should note that it does not have the anti vibration feature, but I don't think it is required on this saw.
If your unsure of what you want, look around at some rental shops, or your dealer, may have one of each so you can use one before you buy.
Good luck

If you MUST have a Stihl get the 025C. IMO it is the ONLY consumer Stihl saw worth mentioning. The 029 is a useless heavy pig. I had a 009 and did not like it, it is balanced okay but the 025 has much more power for about 60-70.00 more.

I love Stihl, but I wouldn't recommend the 021, 025, 029 series to my worst enemy. They are ordinary consumer quality saws and not worthy of the Stihl name or premium pricetag.

Try and get an 026 and you'll never regret it. If budget is a problem than try and find a good used one or possible a good used 028. Assuming they've been maintained properly, used versions will be far superior to the 021,025, and 029's.

If it doesn't absolutley have to be Stihl, than look for a Makita DSC401. They're about the price of the Stihl 021/025 series, but are much better saws. Parts and service is no problem, but they are hard to find locally.

I also need to mention that your success with a chainsaw will depend on the care you give it. Professional saws are not much different from junk saws in this regard. You need to keep fuel fresh, mix it correctly, don't let it go stale in the saw while in storage. Bars and chains need to be tuned up frequently and the saw needs to be thoroughly cleaned after every few hours of cutting.

Huskyman is right, the 025C would help with your chain problem.
What I had in mind was repair on the Craftsman. A clean air filter, new plug, clean muffler screen, and possibly a new bar, chain, and sprocket is probably all your saw needs. $60 or so and you're back in business.

I have two good candidates for you. One is a newer style craftsman that is 2.2 cubic inches. It is used, but so little, as to be almost new. The other is a Husky 345 that is a newer saw also and it is ready to cut. I got these saws on trade and checked them over real well, tuned them, and cleaned them up. I have pictures if you are interested. The craftsman is $100 and the Husky is $165, this is plus shipping on both. You will get a lot of work out of either one. Mike

I'd second the vote for an 026 if you have the cash. Those consumer saws are (IMHO) Stihl going in the wrong direction. Makita's chainsaws are another good bunch. Pretty well-regarded when they were called Sachs-Dolmar a little while ago. One last brand to keep in mind is the new series of John Deer. They're all made in Italy and used to be sold as Oleo-Mac or Olympik. Very nice, and cheap for what you get.

Now, why is the chain jumping off your Craftsman? That only happens when it's not snugged up. Whatever new, high-quality saw you buy will only be as good as the maintenance you give it. Owner's manuals are something to take to bed for a few days after you get it.

I must agree with Dave on the Stihl 21/25/29/39 series. I like Stihl also, but these saws are junk. For a small saw in your price range, check out the Echo 3400/3450. I've used the 3400 with 14" bar for climbing for years and they are solid little saws. The 3450 is the same except it is the rear handle style instead of the top handle design.

Thanks!

Wow, you guys are incredible - thanks for all the input - looks like I've got some more work to do.

Back