Wiseco piston update from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also respect copyrights which can be a problem with other places. I've heard of really good photographs being entered at the county fair by people who printed them for the photographer.

Makes me wonder how many good photos (not that mine are good) end up for sale at places like stockphoto.com when folk take them to places for prints. Most have never heard of such a thing and would never know the difference.

Set up an account at WHCC. They do awesome work.

I'll check them out. I don't expect to do many prints, just wanted to see how that would look blown up to 8x10. When I had my film camera, I used Seattle Film Works. They gave you a free roll of film with every one you sent in for developing. Buy your film once and never have to buy another roll.

Ian

Last edited:
The digital cameras around here are big box store Canons. Nothing special. However, when I'm at the track, I kick it old school. My grandfather made a living with cameras as a photographer for the Detroit Free Press, Parke Davis Pharmaceuticals, and other places. I have boxes of priceless, irreplaceable cameras, much of which I shall never handle with the skill he did. This one is my favorite at the tracks.

Leica, accept no substitutes...
attachment.php

It works well with no fancy attachments, shot off hand. No light meters either, I try to get a feel for it and adjust as I think I need to. Most of the time, I'm close...

This is my friend's 9300 Super Farm Charlie, Nick, and Tony Capozzo Richmond, MI JD 4010 shot at Croswell, MI 2009
attachment.php

Duane Bowns 6200 Modified New Lothrop, MI single hemi shot at Imlay City, MI 2008
attachment.php

Martin Gentner 8000 Diesel Pro Stock Ruth, MI MXM bodied IH 856 shot at North Branch, MI 2008
attachment.php

Jessica Jacks 6200 TWD Cen-Pe-Co Pair of Jacks Dodge from IN shot at NFMS Louisville, KY 2008
attachment.php

Nice pics CPR.. I like how the brilliant the color is. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to camera and lens.

Ian

Nice pics CPR.. I like how the brilliant the color is. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to camera and lens.

Ian

True. His lasting gift to me (among others) I suppose. I'd gladly trade all the color prints in the world for him back, though. A true gentleman he was.

I'm really hesitant to bore this thread with real saw talk, lol. I've enjoyed all the "off topic" stuff. Anyway, this is Stipes MS440 that he uses for milling. The original P&C are off and are in excellent condition. It's obvious he runs it rich for milling duty. I have since decarboned the piston crown, combustion chamber, and exhaust port. The saw is in excellent condition and will make an excellent test bed for these new pistons. There was not a lot in the exhaust, but a little. I'm still waiting on the Wiseco pistons, so keep your fingers crossed they arrive soon. I leave Sunday afternoon to fly to Orlando for a week of work.

785596102_uZSWZ-L.jpg

785596151_q8JYK-L.jpg

785596042_82TLg-L.jpg

785596286_x7qxr-L.jpg

785596300_pEVgE-L.jpg

785596185_Pgnie-L.jpg

785595965_bJNk9-L.jpg

785595909_8goKb-L.jpg

I didn't measure squish before tearing it down, but putting it back together without a gasket, squish was only about .005". The metal gasket is about .015". So factory squish was about .020". Compression was 155 PSI. Ring end gaps where .018" and .020".

I didn't measure squish before tearing it down, but putting it back together without a gasket, squish was only about .005". The metal gasket is about .015". So factory squish was about .020". Compression was 155 PSI. Ring end gaps where .018" and .020".

what do you use to de-carbon it?

Wire brush for the crown and chamber. Make sure you brush off the edge and not onto it. Otherwise, you're liable to ruin the piston. I use a wire brush on a drill for the chamber. Never scratched a cylinder or hurt a piston yet.

Every try soaking it? Even when I soak I usually end up doing it manually.

My personal preference is to not use a wire brush. Simply cause I've seen stuff wrecked by them. Ultra fine glass beads work wonders if you have access to a blast cabinet.

They have blast cabinet at work with beads in it. I don't know about carbon, but I tried to use it to get some rust off and it was about worthless. I think they use it to strip paint off of small parts.

Ian

They have blast cabinet at work with beads in it. I don't know about carbon, but I tried to use it to get some rust off and it was about worthless. I think they use it to strip paint off of small parts.

Ian

Something wrong there then, they work amazing, if it has ultra fine glass beads, it takes a little longer to take rust off. Either they haven't changed the beads in a long time, or something is wrong with the blaster.

Something wrong there then, they work amazing, if it has ultra fine glass beads, it takes a little longer to take rust off. Either they haven't changed the beads in a long time, or something is wrong with the blaster.

Agree, or the ceramic tip on the gun is worn and spraying too wide, loosing velocity.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a few phone calls...

My old kart engine builder from over twenty years ago used a solution he bought in a 20 litre (5 gallon) drum that he just dropped aluminium cylinders and heads into and they emerged immaculately clean, looking pristine and new.
We never had to touch one with a brush, it was magic stuff (and probably banned these days.... :rolleyes: )

Back