Wiseco piston update from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'm going to have to make a few phone calls...

My old kart engine builder from over twenty years ago used a solution he bought in a 20 litre (5 gallon) drum that he just dropped aluminium cylinders and heads into and they emerged immaculately clean, looking pristine and new.
We never had to touch one with a brush, it was magic stuff (and probably banned these days.... :rolleyes: )

Sounds like the old carb cleaner we used to use. It comes in a bucket 20L, and has a basket you soak the carb in. Worked wonders on pistons, I used it all the time for pistons. But you can't get it anymore around here. Was brutal stuff though, even if I could buy it, I wouldn't use it anymore.

Sounds like the old carb cleaner we used to use. It comes in a bucket 20L, and has a basket you soak the carb in. Worked wonders on pistons, I used it all the time for pistons. But you can't get it anymore around here. Was brutal stuff though, even if I could buy it, I wouldn't use it anymore.

I bought the last 5-gallon bucket of bulk Berryman's carb cleaner that Napa had here about twelve years ago. Even then, it had been sitting about ten years. Just the fumes from that stuff would melt your skin off. I loved it. You could throw an old, crusty 044 muffler in there and the next day it'd come out shiny clean.

You're right Will, there are lots of chemicals like that i won't use anymore, lifes too short to have you're body and mind stuffed prematurely by something you can avoid.

I bought the last 5-gallon bucket of bulk Berryman's carb cleaner that Napa had here about twelve years ago. Even then, it had been sitting about ten years. Just the fumes from that stuff would melt your skin off. I loved it. You could throw an old, crusty 044 muffler in there and the next day it'd come out shiny clean.

JJ, believe it or not I've had good success using good old washing powder at ba pretty strong concentration in a bucket of warm water with crusty, carboned up mufflers.
It seemed to soften all the splooge into a jelly so i could hose it all out.

Yup the stuff worked!!!!!! I'll give it that. But the smell, OH MY GOD. You even get a drop of it on you and you'd be smelling it for days. We had a can once that the bottom rotted off, it was sitting on the floor so long, and people washing the floor, it just rusted away, and I'm sure what was inside the can didn't help, the whole can of it ended up all over the shop floor!!!!!!!!!!! You can imagine what it was like, but geeze it worked great, would melt carbon off pistons like it was nobody's business.

Lately, I just use our industrial jet clean at work, I just use commercial dish washer detergent in it, and with the great heat it has and the pressure, it'll strip carbon off parts fairly well, does an awesome job on alu cylinder heads, and saw parts!!

Agree, or the ceramic tip on the gun is worn and spraying too wide, loosing velocity.

It sprays a round stream about 3/4" across. Don't know what it supposed to be. I do know it hurts when it gets through the glove and hits your skin. The glove has found religion and is now holey.

Ian

I've only been set up for bead blasting for a short time. It is not like sand blasting at all, which I've done for a few years.

I've used it to clean plastic, clean the carbon out of the tops of bores, clean up rusted threads on old saws, etc.

I would say that used carefully it won't hurt a plated cylinder. If you held it there and just blasted away then, yeah, in time it will take the plating off.

Mr. HE:cool:

Set up an account at WHCC. They do awesome work.

I looked at their pricing and they are really set up for professional photographers. I'd have to order quite a few photos to meet their minimum order. The one here and there that I would want a print of would not be feasible through them. I'll probably just have to find someplace locally that I can get quality low volume prints from.

Ian

One thing you can do is play with the pressure setting. Lower pressure gives more of cleaning action and will barely mark the surface of aluminum. Higher pressure pounds harder. YMMV

In case I never mentioned it--I love bead blasting.:clap:

Mr. HE:cool:

I looked at their pricing and they are really set up for professional photographers. I'd have to order quite a few photos to meet their minimum order. The one here and there that I would want a print of would not be feasible through them. I'll probably just have to find someplace locally that I can get quality low volume prints from.

Ian

I used to print all proofs and enlargements when I was doing weddings.

Ian

Have you tried shutterfly.com?

I went to their website and had a look around. I liked the fact that the first thing they list as a benefit of membership is, "Our picture storage is free and unlimited. We never delete photos." The bold print is theirs. BUT...

If you click on their service agreement, they say the exact opposite.

"Shutterfly reserves the right to cancel the Service or to discontinue accounts that have been inactive for more than 180 days. We may do so at our discretion after sending an email warning to the address you used when you set up your account. If you do not respond to the email within 10 days, your account and the images contained in it may be removed.

I think I'll pass and look locally.
Ian

We have had our shutterfly account for 2yrs and use it for all our house project pictures. I like it because I can control access to them and have books printed on demand.

My personal preference is to not use a wire brush. Simply cause I've seen stuff wrecked by them. Ultra fine glass beads work wonders if you have access to a blast cabinet.

They have blast cabinet at work with beads in it. I don't know about carbon, but I tried to use it to get some rust off and it was about worthless. I think they use it to strip paint off of small parts.

Ian

Something wrong there then, they work amazing, if it has ultra fine glass beads, it takes a little longer to take rust off. Either they haven't changed the beads in a long time, or something is wrong with the blaster.

Stihl 066 Mahle cylinder fresh off of production saw:

attachment.php

Same cylinder after bead blast:

attachment.php

I used a piece of 2" bar stock with masking tape wrapped around it and inserted in the bore for protection.

Wow!!!

I'm really hesitant to bore this thread with real saw talk, lol. I've enjoyed all the "off topic" stuff. Anyway, this is Stipes MS440 that he uses for milling. The original P&C are off and are in excellent condition. It's obvious he runs it rich for milling duty. I have since decarboned the piston crown, combustion chamber, and exhaust port. The saw is in excellent condition and will make an excellent test bed for these new pistons. There was not a lot in the exhaust, but a little. I'm still waiting on the Wiseco pistons, so keep your fingers crossed they arrive soon. I leave Sunday afternoon to fly to Orlando for a week of work.

785596102_uZSWZ-L.jpg

785596151_q8JYK-L.jpg

785596042_82TLg-L.jpg

785596286_x7qxr-L.jpg

785596300_pEVgE-L.jpg

785596185_Pgnie-L.jpg

785595965_bJNk9-L.jpg

785595909_8goKb-L.jpg

I was always wondering what the old 440 would look like all the way down,,I seen tru exhast and intake view of the piston,,and amazing,,,cause I ran that saw hard...All I ever used was Stihl mix at 45:1 and on the rich side of things,,as some carbon ....Gonna use just Stihl ultra with all new piston at 45:1 and see how the build up is then this fall when we tear it back down...Really excited about how it's gonna hold up,,and isnt gonna do anything diffrent than I always do with my saws...After seein the carbon,,,I wonder how much diffrent running ultra 100% of the time is gonna do...To me,,this is gonna be alot of fun experimenting..

Back