Wood cutting weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A nice day to get a load of wood
0c66ddc503d8df76af6625ea3332ef76.jpg
7a819ae8cbc05b9419a55155dbf5cf4a.jpg
dff8960953440bc87bb37d733af1cb0f.jpg
9970c25a990b71153a04d617444b4be9.jpg
0773b2a7bec3603f08993805d360f935.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

finally dry enough by me to go out and cut some today. every year i try to scrounge some downed dead trees that are off the ground that i can burn right away. i also found some huge dead ash trees that i can cut ,,looks like i will be burning mostly ash for the next few years

So, everyone agrees that you need dry weather for while. I agree also. This has been the worst early fall weather that I have ever seen for firewood collection or processing and also the worst for crop harvesting. The two tend to go hand in hand. Flooded fields are everywhere and will take days to dry out. Wood that I split and thought was dry has been soaked.

Tomorrow I will again try to collect hardwood that I can split and burn in my stove or sell immediatly if there is a surplus. That has been impossible to do for the past two months. 066blaster and I are on the same page.

So, everyone agrees that you need dry weather for while. I agree also. This has been the worst early fall weather that I have ever seen for firewood collection or processing and also the worst for crop harvesting. The two tend to go hand in hand. Flooded fields are everywhere and will take days to dry out. Wood that I split and thought was dry has been soaked.

Tomorrow I will again try to collect hardwood that I can split and burn in my stove or sell immediatly if there is a surplus. That has been impossible to do for the past two months. 066blaster and I are on the same page.
I agree , my wood wood definitely needs to sit inside by the burner a couple days before burning it. and that is the 2 year split and stacked stuff. was dry as can be mid summer, i should have brought some in then.

I agree , my wood wood definitely needs to sit inside by the burner a couple days before burning it. and that is the 2 year split and stacked stuff. was dry as can be mid summer, i should have brought some in then.
One thing I have noticed that is really rare. The wood that I split from big rounds that I cut last spring is drier that anything that I split and stacked outdoors, even splits that were stacked off the ground on pallets. No sun, calm winds, and lots of rain produced this. At least the center heartwood from the rounds never got submerged in mammoth rain. In this case, the bark actually protected the wood like an umbrella.

The splits that I can produce today from stored rounds can be loaded and sold. They are drier than the splits that I made last spring and stacked. To me, this is goofy, but that's the way it is in these parts.

Back