Wood Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laynes69

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went to the local amish the other day to buy some coal, and I saw their woodstoves they build. They were well constructed, and were brick lined for coal or wood. There flue exited out of the right side of the stove, where there was a bypass damper. What they told me is once the wood starts to burn and coals up, to rake the coals into the bottom of the secondary chamber and let the smoke run through the coals so it burns before it leaves the wood stove. They say by having all the smoke exit at the bottom, the stove acts as a hopper where as the wood burns it drops, Claiming 12 hour burns. I guess this is similar as a old riteway stove. Anyone ever heard of such setup? I need something to tie into my ductwork. I know its not epa certified, but sounds like it would work well? I dont want a cresote monster.

We can't install wood burning appliances now due to a municipal bylaw. They are concerned about particulate in the air. There is a rebate program to encourage a switch to natural gas but the cost of gas is climbing and some residents don't yet have access to it. The other issue is insurance, hard to get with wood heat.

Back