Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually diamond Willow. The twisted part is live wood while the center wood is dead. Someone said it was worth 8 hundred, but I said they could have it now for 400 hundred. No takers yet. Lol
How it became twisted, I have no idea. Without having counted the growth rings, I'd say it is at least 80 years old.
Shall we call it Twisted Sister?

Yeah a lot of haters of the Box Elder around here :(. I've burned 1-2 cords of it a year at our family cabin over the last decade since it is so prolific around here. Literally within 200 yards is more than I can/will burn in my lifetime. Yeah it burns hot and fast, so I just split it really large or not at all for 6-8 inch limbs. As for the smell, it is a member of the maple family and I frequently get a nice whiff of a sweet syrup like aroma from the chimney. Many people around the campfire have commented on how sweet it smells too. The Native Americans used to make a syrup from it. Milled some of it too, really nice figure like curl, quilting, spalting, and my favorite, lots of burls.

Anyway not trying to hijack the thread (sorry OP!) but had to defend my go-to wood. Yep I'm a wood snob, Box Elder and Cottonwood all the way:rock:.

Latest posts

Back