Wood identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkenbakers

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the site although I've been an avid reader for a couple of years.

Im a novice wood chopper having installed a nice woodburner about 18 months ago. I don't pay for wood as I seem to have a knack for picking it up for free by having a tree surgeon across the road who gives me excess logs (for a drink). I am also on constant lookout for building developments and wood thinning where I always ask permission and seem to get loads of free logs which I bring home, chop, stack and store for the winter. I never do this without permission and its amazing what you can get by being polite and asking nicely.

Ive turned into a wood nerd and must have collected a good few tonnes over the last 6 months including ash, oak, birch, beech and sycamore.

There is a small wood near where I live which had some road fronted trees overhanging a path which were slowly dying and so there were some professional cutting it down for safety reasons and managed to acquire about a tonne of it as they couldn't move the whole amount and let me have the remainder. Thing is, i don't know what type it is. They are medium in size, a very rough bark and are extremely heavy. Moisture content isn't excessive when cut. They don't have lots of large limbs but are very difficult to split as they have lot of small branches, are quite slim even when tall and the older dead trees seem to attract a lot of woodworm.

I have posted some pictures of a tree which has been untouched. The leaves aren't there yet but they are just about to flower. Id be really keen to know what they are and how good they are as firewood as I have split a load of it now and its seasoning nicely outside. I hope I haven't wasted my time.

Thanks in advance.

Back