Wood jackpot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20191026_084947.jpg 20191025_132613.jpg 20191025_132620.jpg 20191026_085047.jpg Well a friend hunts on a horse ranch and he tells me the owner had some loggers on the back 60 acres . These guys butchered up everything damaging a lot of trees not being harvested and left tops all over the trails that he uses daily . He demanded they clean up they refused so he stopped them from entering his property and has one of their skidders still on the property . Police involved and they are saying it's a civil matter so they are going to court. But back to my friend he offered my services to clear and gather up the wood. I would say about 30 to 40 cord of wood not suitable for lumber is down and at least that much in damaged trees that need to be dropped.

So far I have taken out 6 loads . Both trailer and truck filled. I can't get the dump trailer into the area so I load up the truck and drag out. Then I drag the rest out with the kubota. Once this area is clear I can bring the trailer in.

Yes my friend you hit the wood jackpot. This is a win for the owner and a win for you. Had a buddy bought a farm years ago had some loggers came in and log some walnut trees it all went bad ended in civil court. The lawyer's were the only winner on this one. We had some logging done on one of our farms about 15 years ago it was walnut trees also. I was there some of the time cleaning with a dozer and a hired track hoe was there some too. They did what they said they were going to do and I got paid when they said they would. It was a good crew. I had hired them on short notice as the original guy backed out and I had the track hoe coming and I had some time off of my town job so this had to happen. Found this logger on Craigs list call him told him what I needed and the time frame and he worked it in.

View attachment 769133 a little much for my likes, but some love it and pay good money for it.

It is nice looking wood. It's a little small to bring to the mill so I guess I'll be doing it myself . May be a good excuse to buy an Alaskan sawmill. About 14 ft long 20191028_103608.jpg 20191028_103547.jpg

Pulled out three more loads. Got some more of that ambrosia maple but this one is 14 feet long and 29 inches round. Been taking the dead oak first , the fresh cut second I'm still in need of dry wood for the season but I should pull at least 5 cord of ready to burn before the snow flies.

Broke down and bought the 36 inch Alaskan mill.

Pulled out three more loads. Got some more of that ambrosia maple but this one is 14 feet long and 29 inches round. Been taking the dead oak first , the fresh cut second I'm still in need of dry wood for the season but I should pull at least 5 cord of ready to burn before the snow flies.

Broke down and bought the 36 inch Alaskan mill.

The 36” mill should work for that 29” log, especially if you don’t try to cut right through the maximum diameter.

The Mills “Advertised Size” is the length of the rails, NOT the maximum diameter log it can mill. That is a COMMON misconception, one I have made myself.

For a 36” mill, you will want a 42” or 44”bar to get the maximum cut with your mill, you will lose some bar length due to clamping the nose end behind the nose sprocket ( be careful NOT to crush the nose sprocket with the nose clamp), you will lose some more bar length if you leave the Dogs on the powerhead.

There are ways to use more of the bar like drilling through the Center of the nose sprocket, and bolting the nose end rather than clamping it, but just getting a bar 6-8” longer than the mill is the easiest solution

Go Ahead, Ask Me how I know a lot of these things ;) :) BT,DT:(

Be forewarned though, CSMAD, can be just as Addicting as CAD, but with Extra Expenses beyond the CAD that lead you to CSMAD:surprised3:

Doug :cheers:

The 36” mill should work for that 29” log, especially if you don’t try to cut right through the maximum diameter.

The Mills “Advertised Size” is the length of the rails, NOT the maximum diameter log it can mill. That is a COMMON misconception, one I have made myself.

For a 36” mill, you will want a 42” or 44”bar to get the maximum cut with your mill, you will lose some bar length due to clamping the nose end behind the nose sprocket ( be careful NOT to crush the nose sprocket with the nose clamp), you will lose some more bar length if you leave the Dogs on the powerhead.

There are ways to use more of the bar like drilling through the Center of the nose sprocket, and bolting the nose end rather than clamping it, but just getting a bar 6-8” longer than the mill is the easiest solution

Go Ahead, Ask Me how I know a lot of these things ;) :) BT,DT:(

Be forewarned though, CSMAD, can be just as Addicting as CAD, but with Extra Expenses beyond the CAD that lead you to CSMAD:surprised3:

In my experience, a 36” bar will cut a solid 32” log, but it’s close. I remove the dogs and clamp as close as I can to the oil tank under the muffler, usually about an inch or so clearance. The nose end you need to be about 3” back from the tip to avoid the nose bearings. Biggest bar I have is 36”, and I’ve had to trim the sides of some big oak logs for clearance. It’s hard work, but well worth the effort!

Yep, but just measuring the butt end can still lead to grief, knots and bumps can bite you where you sit, and it SUCKS, having to change mills mid cut, IF you even have a larger mill to switch to. Been There, Done:(

View attachment 769100 View attachment 769101 View attachment 769102 View attachment 769104 Well a friend hunts on a horse ranch and he tells me the owner had some loggers on the back 60 acres . These guys butchered up everything damaging a lot of trees not being harvested and left tops all over the trails that he uses daily . He demanded they clean up they refused so he stopped them from entering his property and has one of their skidders still on the property . Police involved and they are saying it's a civil matter so they are going to court. But back to my friend he offered my services to clear and gather up the wood. I would say about 30 to 40 cord of wood not suitable for lumber is down and at least that much in damaged trees that need to be dropped.

So far I have taken out 6 loads . Both trailer and truck filled. I can't get the dump trailer into the area so I load up the truck and drag out. Then I drag the rest out with the kubota. Once this area is clear I can bring the trailer in.

I have cut wood in a 90 acre area that was logged. It was a nasty mess. Tops everywhere. Logging companies don't give 2 craps about your property; it looked like the place had been bombed from a World War. I couldn't believe the waste left behind; hundreds of cords of hard wood left to rot.

I'm like Fred my goat poison ivy has no effect on me.

I worked with a person who thought so too.

He weed wacked a patch of PI a couple of times, in shorts and T-shirt. Third time it was like someone had splattered hot grease all over him, the next day.

Blisters all over, and he didn't wash his hands before using the toilet that day either.:eek: :surprised3: :cry:

The way I'm figuring it if I make slab cuts on all four sides I can do a much larger log. Not looking for live edge 42 inch tables .

You can also take off an outside slab, then a flitch or two, to get the cants more manageable for your mill. Then edge up the flitches for boards or planks.

Back