Wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easter Sunday Arrival

Hey guys, this is what arrived on Easter for me. The truck was 24' long, 8' wide and 10' tall. It looks to be about 25 to 30 face cord cut at 16". It is mostly ash with maple, cherry and beech thrown in. The cost was $600 here in beautiful Naples, NY. Now that the wood spitter is done times a wastin here at work. :chainsaw: Greg

Easter Sunday Arrival

That's a 10 cord load max up here in Maine. I'm talking full cords not face cords of course. Just this year we've stopped selling 8'and 4' slashed and are now only selling tree length as the demand has been so high that we just don't have the time to slash it any longer. We also have begun selling the wood by weight. 2000lbs to the cord. Here's a pix of a pile from March that was about 18 feet high and 200 feet long in tree length. It's all gone as of 2 weeks ago and we're working on the next.

Zee

I just did a tri-axle loaded to the top and it only came to around 7.5 full cords (16" cuts). We had a great time doing it. It was only 4 people, 2 cutting and 2 splitting and we had it done in one weekend. Ranking took another weekend (hate ranking). I was told a tri-axle is for 6-8 cords a load. The Logger (who dropped the load) told me I should get 10 full cords. Know before hand it would be only 6-8 cords I'm not bothered by not getting 10. The truck was loaded to the top!!!

Have fun and be safe.

Newfie said:
That's too bad because a cord of green hardwood weighs over twice as much.
And truly, wtf is that about? Let yer wood sit in the rain for a while, then burn your customer? Wonder what brain surgeon came up wit that one, sheesh, where is the love and honesty?
:blob2: :blob2:

Dave, that calculator is prejudiced imo, no fir or arbutus. *sigh*

Zodiac45 said:
\ We also have begun selling the wood by weight. 2000lbs to the cord.
Zee
this doesnt sound like an honest business practice to me. stick to the traditional method of 128 cu feet to a cord. species also plays a big roll id much rather have a cord of red cedar over a cord of locust if your sellin it!!! certain woods absorb more moisture than others and some , such as black locust are just a very dense wood and therefore way alot more. thanks to DDM's posting of the calculator this is alot easier to figure out..... i sell alot of wood each year and never have or will sell by weight!!!
-mike

1CallLandscape said:
.. i sell alot of wood each year and never have or will sell by weight!!!
-mike

That's good, because Mass law prohibits it, sell it by the cubic foot only. With all of the recent demand for firewood, the state AG is actively pursuing complaints against firewood dealers shorting customers and what-not.

Sell it as 128 cubic feet and paranthetically call it a cord.

Too many calculations!

:givebeer:
Newfie said:
Sell it as 128 cubic feet and paranthetically call it a cord.

So to do some rough calculations, if the truck was 21' long, by 8' wide and piled 10' high it comes out to be 1680 cubic feet. divided by 128, get about 13 cords. Not counting for air, and such. BTW (I got the BTW from my kids on IM.) this is the first time for me doing this. It is so much better than going into the woods around here and trying to find leftovers from logged land and more fun than just buying a load already split. It is also a lot cleaner than I though. When I bought the loads I got a lot of dirt, extra bark and sometimes extra critters.

What is the standard length of the logging trucks like the one in my previous post?

Greg

Millman said:
:givebeer:

So to do some rough calculations, if the truck was 21' long, by 8' wide and piled 10' high it comes out to be 1680 cubic feet. divided by 128, get about 13 cords. Not counting for air, and such. BTW (I got the BTW from my kids on IM.) this is the first time for me doing this. It is so much better than going into the woods around here and trying to find leftovers from logged land and more fun than just buying a load already split. It is also a lot cleaner than I though. When I bought the loads I got a lot of dirt, extra bark and sometimes extra critters.

What is the standard length of the logging trucks like the one in my previous post?

Greg

The amount of wood contained in the truck depends on whether it was just tossed in or stacked in. If stacked, your calculations are correct. If tossed you have about 1/3 less wood. There is a formula for 'tossed' vs 'stacked' but I don't recall what it is.

Harry K

well to tell the truth if you load your truck with a skidsteer ,like me, i always put an extra bucket in. its probably a little over a cord but im being honest to the customer. it translates to about 20 cubic feet extra. what i also did is i hand stacked my truck with a cord and then i dumped it on the ground and then i loaded it with a bobcat to get an idea on the load.
-mike

Here in Maine, state statutes specify that a "loose cord" is 180 cubic feet @ 16" length. What I did with my dump trailer, was to stack a cord and then load it loosely in the trailer. This gave me an idea of how full the trailer was with one cord. After that I just went by sight. I've never had a customer call back because they think they've been shorted.

A-2. Fuel wood, when sold loose and not ranked and well stowed, shall be sold by the cubic foot or loose cord, unless other arrangements are made between the buyer and seller. When sold by the loose cord, the wood in any cord shall average either 12 inches, 16 inches or 24 inches in length. When so sold, the volume of the cords shall be: A cord of 12 or 16 inches in length shall mean the amount of wood, bark and air contained in a space of 180 cubic feet; and a cord of wood 24 inches in length shall mean the amount of wood, bark and air contained in a space of 195 cubic feet.

We have cut waste wood to heat a home and attached 4 stall garage/shop since the early 1980s. We currently use a 200,000 btu wood stove to heat the home and garage/shop. Since the stove takes logs up to 3 feet in length we usually cut our piece in the 18 - 24" length, with a 7" inch width or less diameter, to save on cutting. I am curious as to what would be the ideal length and diameter for pieces cut and split for the purpose resale? I know many home home owners generally have a much smaller add-on furnace than we use, or a small cast iron stove, or perhaps a fireplace and wanted to know the max sizes generally to shoot for? I am curious as to the minimum diamter of pieces you would generally put into a resale pile. We generally don't mess cutting anything into firewood length below 1 1/2 inches in diameter for our own use - of course this depends on the tree as if a tree has lot of twigs we will not mess with the smaller stuff.

. I am curious as to what would be the ideal length and diameter for pieces cut and split for the purpose resale? I know many home home owners generally have a much smaller add-on furnace than we use said:
Generally speaking you would sell it in 16"- 18" pieces i cut my saleable wood in 16" . i also market the smaller pieces ( less than 16" ) to customers with smaller stoves such as pot bellys. And as far as size gos just give them a reall good mix. i mix in rounds and big pieces , as people like both.
-mike

1CallLandscape said:
And as far as size gos just give them a reall good mix. i mix in rounds and big pieces , as people like both.
-mike

Agreed! I had a cord delivered last fall by a very nice couple who obviously needed the money. Cut VERY uniformly to 18", nice wood, but it was all too small around. Burned up too fast. Didn't re-order from them. I wanted to, as they were nice folks and gave good service, but I couldn't afford it.

Latest posts

Back