Wood Smoke Danger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if its that concentrated there have been some good suggestions on here put in a cheap exhaust fan and or wear a respirator I also have had bad cases of "black nose" after filling so it obviously gets somewhat into your system which can't be good how bad who knows everyone is different and reacts to different things that are "bad" but if your worried why take the chance even if it just makes you feel better about it do it!! On the outdoor end of things I just think about how many pollutants/chemicals have been put in the air that wouldn't be there if it wasn't for industry things that mother nature never intended and its not from burning wood!! I have heard but never checked into it that every living man, woman, child and animal has some rare radioisotope in there body from a rocket Nasa put up that exploded supposedly (and I don't doubt) the power supply desintagrated and spread all over and we breathed/ate it into our system. Kinda scary if it is true but i'm not saying it is heard it along time ago!! I guess what I am saying is if I was a EPA guy woodburners would be at the end of a very long list!! :cheers:

maybe the thousands of nuclear explosions from tests might have some affect on people......

maybe the tons of polution from industries world wide might have some affect on people....

maybe some NASA spave ship exploding might have some affect on people....

maybe wood burning might have some affect on people.....

volcanoes are notorious for emitting tons of polutants and all those clouds of ash we see are comprised of minute particles of glass that are known to ruin lungs when inhaled....and they spread world wide.

but, i liken the OP's concerns about smoke to those of a jogger that i see running along a busy highway, for his health, and deeply breathing in all that evil emission stuff from passing cars and trucks.

we all burn wood here, and if one is concerned about the health effects of burning wood, then perhaps an alternative energy source should be considered. if you get a little smoke back at ya, turn your head away or hold your breath, or wear a mask. i don't believe many people have been hospitalized because they inhaled a little wood smoke, unless your caught in the middle of a forest fire.

Agreed lots of stuff "could" be dangerous natural or manmade burning wood to me at least seems a more natural part of the life cycle it happens in nature and has for who knows how long Co2 up Co2 taken back up by vegatation.

Burning wood

Smoke dangers have been analyzed a fair bit with regard to the safety of firefighters.

They start off every publication with a series of caveats that they don't know all the effects of all the different chemicals produced in the burning of cellulose. There are an awful lot of byproducts!

Then they talk about the ones that they do know about and that there are several known carcinogens.

The finer particles produced by burning are a big problem when they get into a lung.

===========

Since this thread should be moved to the smart aiss forum:

I'm going to suggest to the readers that they have just as much to worry about the formaldehyde in the fine furniture in their trailer park.

Best recommendation would be to burn that furniture with an open draft.

I didn't get that impression either...for all we know he lives well out in the country and is not bothering anyone. I would bet most of us on this site are conscious of where our smoke blows and who it may affect.

Mine is all wood, the one that bugs me in the neighborhood is the brilliant individual that burns trash and left over motor oil in his... THAT is annoying

Does it really keep the deer away? It would be worth having an OWB for that reason alone for a lot of gardeners.

Fallacy. I have a woodstove in the house, and the deer have stood in the smoke and continued about their business. Everyone here burns... so they are used to it I guess.

In the woods

"Does it (smoke) really keep the deer away? It would be worth having an OWB for that reason alone for a lot of gardeners."

============

Working in the National Forests for decades in either the smoke of wildfires or prescribed fires I would suggest if anything that deer like being in at least moderate levels of smoke.

Deer like visual cover. Whether brush or smoke.

When the smoke lifts expect your garden to be gone.

A good number of them have ended up in my smoker and none have complained. On a related note, the biggest buck I have ever seen watched me for 20 minutes as I was sawing up an Oak tree.I could have been a large, noisy squirrel for all he cared.

Deer are very smart well at least sometimes like people you run in the occasional one that makes you wonder. I also have seen them just sitting on the hillside overlooking last years garden with tufts of smoke rolling from my greenhouse in the spring they don't seem to mind, recently I was burning to keep the snow off my structures and one was right next to it I walked a load of wood down and it took off but not from the smoke I spooked it funny I didn't see that one during hunting season this year:cry: I was empty handed!! Anyway everyone take care irishcountry

Latest posts

Back