Wood Smoke Danger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OUBrew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone worry about wood smoke inhalation from loading your OWB? I have a boiler shed where I house the OWB so I get quite a bit of smoke when I load it even if the blower is on. I do wear a smoke mask but I can tell it still gets to my lungs. Any thougts?

Does anyone worry about wood smoke inhalation from loading your OWB? I have a boiler shed where I house the OWB so I get quite a bit of smoke when I load it even if the blower is on. I do wear a smoke mask but I can tell it still gets to my lungs. Any thougts?

I have a power attic vent with louvers that will move 1080 cfm It is wired into the lights and has its own switch for summer time. It evacuates the smoke very fast. There has been many times where my nose is black when I blow it. Most of the time is when I'm spending time moving the coals around. What kind of mask do you have? Any picks or links?

Mine is outside so I can avoid the smoke a bit better. I have a friend who installed an agricultural exhaust fan (12" I think) near the owb and turns that on before opening the door. His owb is partially inside the building so it was filling up with smoke as well.

Years ago I read something that said wood smoke and ashes were dangerous because the trees filtered out the tiny ammounts of radiation loosed in the atmosphere from A- and H-bomb tests in the '50's and '60's, thus the radiactive particles would be more concentrated in the smoke and ashes. Probably boolchit since I don't remember any offers of proof.
Funny how I can remember this, but not what I did yesterday:dizzy:

No I don't worry at all, it mixes real nice with the 2 packs of cigs I smoke a day.:)

i have asthma the only type of wood that bothers me is walnut i have an attack every time i burn it so i just quit using it. i have a respriator and wear it sometimes not much i dont think it all that bad the radiation thing is kind of scary going to do a little reasearch on that

Years ago I read something that said wood smoke and ashes were dangerous because the trees filtered out the tiny ammounts of radiation loosed in the atmosphere from A- and H-bomb tests in the '50's and '60's, thus the radiactive particles would be more concentrated in the smoke and ashes. Probably boolchit since I don't remember any offers of proof.
Funny how I can remember this, but not what I did yesterday:dizzy:

The chronic exposure from any alpha particulates in the smoke/ash, would be much less of a worry than the radon Gas trapped in the shed....

Look at it this way. The same particulates fall everywhere, including on the the soil where your food grows and grazes. It's in the dust you breathe daily.
It's embedded in the shingles on your house. It's such a low level that it is below the level of radiation from a Coleman lantern mantle, or Tungsten welding electrode.
Go ahead, eat the stuff if ya want. The trace amounts of other stuff might Kill ya, but the radiation will not be a factor.

The matter is true, but hyped for effect by the Anti-nuke crowd.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I do worry about it, when I feed the OWB it always seems like I got my darn mouth open. When I get back in the house I can taste the smoke. I don't smoke, but always wonder what the smoke is doing to my lungs. My FIL has been feeding his OWB for 24 years, does not smoke, so I guess I will make it a few more years??

I need to pay more attention and keep my mouth shut, something I have a hard time doing, 500+ post here ought to tell you something about me !!!

Increased ventilation or a positive pressure set up?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I worry about wood smoke..................

as much as i worry about all that butter and maple syrup i slather all over my pancakes in the morning.:cheers:

Try to avoid as much of it as you can, but a little bit of smoke won't kill you..... at least .... not right away:)

so, ummmm...lemme see if i understand this right: you're concerned about breathing in the smoke yourself, but you're not concerned about those who have to breath in the smoke when it leaves your chimney?

so, ummmm...lemme see if i understand this right: you're concerned about breathing in the smoke yourself, but you're not concerned about those who have to breath in the smoke when it leaves your chimney?

I didn't get that impression either...for all we know he lives well out in the country and is not bothering anyone. I would bet most of us on this site are conscious of where our smoke blows and who it may affect.

mga,

The OP is concerned with the heath effects of the smoke concentrated INSIDE the shed that houses his OWB. He NEVER mentioned disregarding the effects on others downwind. You did.

What's your point?

Dingeryote

Last edited:
Mga

There always seems to be one poster on any message board that like to stir the pot but just to clarify...

I live in the middle of 200 acres and have no one next to me so I am not concerned about smoke bothering a neighbor...the deer dont like it however. I was wondering what other's thoughts were on smoke INSIDE the housing shed.

Thanks to all for your input

There always seems to be one poster on any message board that like to stir the pot but just to clarify...

I live in the middle of 200 acres and have no one next to me so I am not concerned about smoke bothering a neighbor...the deer dont like it however. I was wondering what other's thoughts were on smoke INSIDE the housing shed.

Thanks to all for your input

Does it really keep the deer away? It would be worth having an OWB for that reason alone for a lot of gardeners.

I think if its that concentrated there have been some good suggestions on here put in a cheap exhaust fan and or wear a respirator I also have had bad cases of "black nose" after filling so it obviously gets somewhat into your system which can't be good how bad who knows everyone is different and reacts to different things that are "bad" but if your worried why take the chance even if it just makes you feel better about it do it!! On the outdoor end of things I just think about how many pollutants/chemicals have been put in the air that wouldn't be there if it wasn't for industry things that mother nature never intended and its not from burning wood!! I have heard but never checked into it that every living man, woman, child and animal has some rare radioisotope in there body from a rocket Nasa put up that exploded supposedly (and I don't doubt) the power supply desintagrated and spread all over and we breathed/ate it into our system. Kinda scary if it is true but i'm not saying it is heard it along time ago!! I guess what I am saying is if I was a EPA guy woodburners would be at the end of a very long list!! :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back