Wood splitter 101? Info needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a wood splitter 101 thread somewhere. Been doing some reading in various threads, but is there a comprehensive source of info I should consult. Long story short, I have access to various hardwoods in rounds up to 36”. Mostly Ash, Oak, hickory, walnut, and cherry. Looking for a splitter to handle whatever I throw at it. If really like to make the purchase once for the long haul.

You’ll get as many suggestions as there are splitter manufacturers. I’d recommend staying away from box store brands as they’re slow and parts are not always easily available. That’s also why they’re cheap. For doing a decent volume of wood I’d suggest at least a 16 gallon a minute pump, log lift, and a removable 4 way wedge. That puts you in the 1cord per hr range. A Honda motor is always a plus and usually standard on better splitters. Most splitters in this category are good machines. Parts for these machines are higher quality and off the shelf from most any hydraulic distributor.
It starts getting more expensive when speed increases to the point of using custom cylinders and dump valves for fast return cycles. This is usually the domain of firewood retailers where the cost of labor outweighs the additional purchase price. The particular manufacturer you choose may well come down to location and dealer stocking. The quality of the dealer usually makes my final decision. Just my opinion.

There's several good manufacturers out there. Personally I own a Wolfe Ridge, and it's pretty good. I have one complaint about the design: the 4-way wedge won't drop down far enough to get the wings out of the way. I think that's an important design criteria. Not crucial, but I wish mine did it.

Check out:
Eastonmade
Wolfe Ridge
Timberwolf
Iron and oak
Built Rite
Power split
American CLS

You can get into something with a log lift and a 4-way for $4-5000, maybe a little less from some of the cheaper builders above. You can also go over $10k if you want. Anything in particular you're looking for?

There's several good manufacturers out there. Personally I own a Wolfe Ridge, and it's pretty good. I have one complaint about the design: the 4-way wedge won't drop down far enough to get the wings out of the way. I think that's an important design criteria. Not crucial, but I wish mine did it.

Check out:
Eastonmade
Wolfe Ridge
Timberwolf
Iron and oak
Built Rite
Power split
American CLS

You can get into something with a log lift and a 4-way for $4-5000, maybe a little less from some of the cheaper builders above. You can also go over $10k if you want. Anything in particular you're looking for?

That’s why I said removable 4 way. Cheaper and never in the way. The downside is you cant adjust the bottom splits for size.

That’s why I said removable 4 way. Cheaper and never in the way. The downside is you cant adjust the bottom splits for size.

Mine is adjustable and removable, but I'd like to be able to adjust it all the way to flush with the bottom instead of removing it and setting it aside somewhere.

Way too many variables, some important ones on your end. Planned cords per year? Got any other equipment around to help with the job? Planned work flow? One person operation or do you have a helper? Oh yeah - and budget? That one's pretty important.

Thanks for the info: I’m really trying to narrow down the “important features” when comparing. I live in the country and own an acreage with mature trees. I’d like something that handles 3-10 cords a year. I don’t heat exclusively with wood. I just don’t want the wood I have to go to waste and it’s more than I care to handle with the x27. I’ve got tractors, skid steers, and mini skid with a grapple bucket, so moving things isnt the issue. In all reality I’d like to spend sub 2k on the splitter. Which I realize isn’t the cats meow territory, but will get a capable machine.

B3D3EA6A-74F2-4A33-9CF2-8E929ED1BFA2.jpegDA38BF9B-FB3D-4040-A2A7-F243779C2093.jpeg

I haven't looked a lot at that price point, but I don't think you'll get anything with a log lift and a 4 way for that kind of money. A couple options, a horizontal/vertical could deal with those in the vertical position, though I'm personally not a fan of working that way. You could also get something in the $1000-1500 range and fab upa table and a little jib crane like the gorilla back lift to hold the big pieces safely while you chip away at them.

Less than 2K and you’re in box store quality with twice the cycle time and no 4 way. It also won’t be the last splitter you buy using your picture as an example of the wood you intend to process.

And honestly if most of your wood is that big I would be looking for a skid steer splitter to bust those huge rounds and find a nice used DHT for $500. Might take more time but will be easier on you.

Thanks for the replies, I realize my wants and asks may not match up with my budget, I’m just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks for the info: I’m really trying to narrow down the “important features” when comparing. I live in the country and own an acreage with mature trees. I’d like something that handles 3-10 cords a year. I don’t heat exclusively with wood. I just don’t want the wood I have to go to waste and it’s more than I care to handle with the x27. I’ve got tractors, skid steers, and mini skid with a grapple bucket, so moving things isnt the issue. In all reality I’d like to spend sub 2k on the splitter. Which I realize isn’t the cats meow territory, but will get a capable machine.

View attachment 865573View attachment 865574
I have a Timberwolf TW5 and it has no issue handling the size wood you have, but unless you find a used one cheap, it’s way out of your price range.
IMO, your price range is unrealistic for all the features you want. If I was you though, I wouldn’t go with a horizontal/vertical model, to compensate for a log lift, especially since you have equipment to load it. They are horrible on your back, you’re constantly bent over trying to manipulate large rounds for the next split.

You might want to look at an attachment for one of your machines, it‘d be cheaper, most likely in your budget.

Here‘s the TW5 lifting a large round, probably around 36inches. It will lift more than this, but much more and it starts to want to lift the offside of the machine. The 4 way can be raised and lowered, and removed. They also sell a 6 way for it, but I don’t have it.

5028B398-160F-45B4-887D-16817851538A.jpeg

44667C38-F436-4D87-A34B-941CF0CEB58E.jpeg

Cut the big logs into rounds and then "noodle" cut them along the length into pieces small enough to pick up and put on the splitter.
Not as cool as a log lift but it costs a lot less.

Not that I don’t do that regularly but it’s also an awful lot slower.

I don’t have a problem cutting big rounds up, I’ve got more saws than brains. I appreciate all the info.

The log lift is very helpful as a staging table also.
I know I wouldn't be without mine. Was just using it Saturday for a staging table as we were doing a lot of what I call one split size hedge rounds. We can pile a bunch on my log lift and then run them threw the splitter.

Latest posts

Back