Wood Splitter Problems... Help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mga said:
just switch the hoses around on the control valve to solve that problem. your handle direction should be the same as the way the cylinder is traveling: in/out....forward/backward.

as for the pump...get it fixed before trying to fix another problem. one problem contributes to another and each may be related...not to mention ruining your system.

i'm using a 2" hose rated at 600psi to my pump. i didn't want to "hard pipe" this because of vibration. the hose is only about 12" long.

but, you can't have any leaks at the suction end...gotta fix that.

post for us what brand controller you have and what brand pump.

MGA,
I emailed Haldex to ask them about the loose fitting but have not heard back from them yet. It's a 11gpm 2 stage haldex/barnes pump. I have a couple of questions about my hydraulic hose size. I'm using 3/8 id line for all working lines and ports is that size too small for a wood splitter appilcation? My valve is a Prince LS-3000 and it was suppose to be factory set for 2250 @ 3 gpm at 120 F. Should I upgrade my hose size to 1/2" ID will that make a difference? Also My intake hose from tank (10 gallon) to the pump is 3/4" ID. Is 3/4" large enough to flow enough fluild?

Thanks for all the help

Mike K

Mike K said:
MGA,
I emailed Haldex to ask them about the loose fitting but have not heard back from them yet. It's a 11gpm 2 stage haldex/barnes pump. I have a couple of questions about my hydraulic hose size. I'm using 3/8 id line for all working lines and ports is that size too small for a wood splitter appilcation? My valve is a Prince LS-3000 and it was suppose to be factory set for 2250 @ 3 gpm at 120 F. Should I upgrade my hose size to 1/2" ID will that make a difference? Also My intake hose from tank (10 gallon) to the pump is 3/4" ID. Is 3/4" large enough to flow enough fluild?

Thanks for all the help

Mike K

Haldex is good for returning information....they'll answer you. but, their web site has some PDF files for their pumps to give you some specs.

i'm also using the LS 3000 control valve...with a haldex 2 stage pump.

so, my suction line is an SAE 100R4-20 WP 200psi hose with an 1 1/4" ID. the OD is 2". this is attached to the pipes from my tank.

from the pump, i am running a 1" hydraulic hose to the valve and the same hose back to the tank. the cylinder lines are....i THINK...3/4". someone borrowed the splitter so i don't have it here to double check. i didn't want any restrictions with flow.

to be sure, go to the prince web site and you will see the specs and port sizes for that control valve. pipe accordingly. here's the web site:

http://www.princehyd.com/Default.aspx?tabid=46

where in NY are you?

Last edited:
mga,
I'm in Newfield N.Y. just South of Ithaca about 12 miles. How about yourself? I did speak with Haldex, they said the pipe is held in place with locktight #680 which I believe is just stud and bearing mount red. They also said that 3/4" id intake should work fine but that our 3/8 id hoses are too small. He recommended no smaller than 1/2" ID and said 3/4 would be much better. Large dia equals higher pressure ( I remember this from Physics). I guess I'll have to re-buy new hoses and fittings. Oh well, back to shopping at Hydraulic surplus I guess.
Thanks for the help! I'll keep you updated when I re-rig the larger plumbing and re-seal the pump!

Mike K

i'm just on the west side of rochester.

glad you got the info from them. like i said, they've always been real helpful.

once you get those hoses squared away, you should have a nice working splitter.

Pressure guages

[/Here a place to get your pressure guages.Pick a price.I haven't orderd yet,so I can't speak of quality
"Richards" www.asrichards.com $7.00!!,$19.00, $89.00 number 2 and 3 silicone filled
Ed

Get A Gage!!

I had the same problem with mine. It would split small pieces but not large ones. I put a gage on the supply line to the control valve and it read a constant 750 psi. The bypass was shot. I couldn't adjust it so I got a new Prince. Put the gage to it and voila! 750, 800, 1000, 1300, BAM! Split the wood. So quit messing around and get a gage!!!!!! :blob2:

Mike K said:
mga,
They also said that 3/4" id intake should work fine but that our 3/8 id hoses are too small. He recommended no smaller than 1/2" ID and said 3/4 would be much better. Large dia equals higher pressure ( I remember this from Physics).
Mike K

The ID of a hose does not determine pressure. You will have just as much pressure in an 1/8 inch line as as a 1 inch line from your pump. A hydraulic pump does not create presure, it creates flow. Resistance to flow creates the pressure.

Flow, or GPM is an entirely different story though and the larger lines will help with cycle time.

I think shims can be bought for some worn relief valves, and so on. My splitter is maybe a 6 or 8 hp old (Pre 1963) Briggs, and I can split wood 20+ inches in diameter, your engine is fine, but Check your pump, and make sure your cylinder is large enough. Tiny pieces of dirt can do alot in a pump, or valves, So make sure all is clean. Mine has a spin on fram filter in the lines.

Latest posts

Back