Wood splitter recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would be nice since they fattened them up with the updated case.
I'd like to get another earlier 555, great saws.
Did you see any problems with them, or a little less power so a lot less problems from heat.
Mine never had problems.

Most never did have problems and have been running fine all along. My first year, (first shipment in fact), 555 did have a severe case of the hot start problem, but on those earliest saws, the coil was the main culprit. Changed it out and no problems ever since. Some of the early problems had more than one cause. The 555's didn't run any cooler than the 562's did. Haven't run my 555 in ages; have to drag that out this Fall.

The 2016 case update on the 562 was also done on the 555. Should not have added any weight though, unless changing the clutch side from magnesium to aluminum adds an ounce or a couple of grams. The improvement was primarily in the bearings, both in durability as well as better fit to the crank and case. At the same time this is when the clutch was changed; might add a couple more grams there. (Needs a different clutch tool.) They also started adding "dry lock" to the oil pump screws for improved sealing as like on most saws the oil pump screws go through the case.

So, the new 555's aren't different in power or weight from what you and I have. But they are significantly improved. Problem is that they are priced only $50 less than the 562, so nobody buys them. Plus they now have the 550M2 nipping at it's heals. It's a shame, cause it's a great saw. The pricing thing applies to the 545M2 and 565 too. But ya gotta look at it from the "glass is half full" perspective of aggressive pricing on the XP models, not as though saws like the 555 are over priced.

could they have done the same thing to the 550xp instead of redesighning it?

Evidently not. Maybe the smaller case didn't offer the same options? I really don't know. But they went with a "do over" approach on that one, and the results have been really good. Like the 572's, they aren't coming back for any reason.

Most never did have problems and have been running fine all along. My first year, (first shipment in fact), 555 did have a severe case of the hot start problem, but on those earliest saws, the coil was the main culprit. Changed it out and no problems ever since. Some of the early problems had more than one cause. The 555's didn't run any cooler than the 562's did. Haven't run my 555 in ages; have to drag that out this Fall.

The 2016 case update on the 562 was also done on the 555. Should not have added any weight though, unless changing the clutch side from magnesium to aluminum adds an ounce or a couple of grams. The improvement was primarily in the bearings, both in durability as well as better fit to the crank and case. At the same time this is when the clutch was changed; might add a couple more grams there. (Needs a different clutch tool.) They also started adding "dry lock" to the oil pump screws for improved sealing as like on most saws the oil pump screws go through the case.

So, the new 555's aren't different in power or weight from what you and I have. But they are significantly improved. Problem is that they are priced only $50 less than the 562, so nobody buys them. Plus they now have the 550M2 nipping at it's heals. It's a shame, cause it's a great saw. The pricing thing applies to the 545M2 and 565 too. But ya gotta look at it from the "glass is half full" perspective of aggressive pricing on the XP models, not as though saws like the 555 are over priced.
Since I've never had the privilege of looking at my saws on the computer I always wondered about the heat differences between the 555/562, thanks for that info. I still prefer the small mount on the 555, wish we would have got the 560 here although I also prefer the all orange of the 555. Its a bit easier to keep the weight down on them with tue small mount bars, besides if I need anything over a 20 I'm grabbing a 70cc saw. The reason I sold all my 254's is because the 555 had such close performance, but now we have the 550ne(can we call it that, its a lot easier). I have one I should probably get it out and try it next to the 550oe:))), just haven't been that busy with tree work this summer.
I'll get my 550ne out if you get your 555 out lol.

Since I've never had the privilege of looking at my saws on the computer I always wondered about the heat differences between the 555/562, thanks for that info. I still prefer the small mount on the 555, wish we would have got the 560 here although I also prefer the all orange of the 555. Its a bit easier to keep the weight down on them with tue small mount bars, besides if I need anything over a 20 I'm grabbing a 70cc saw. The reason I sold all my 254's is because the 555 had such close performance, but now we have the 550ne(can we call it that, its a lot easier). I have one I should probably get it out and try it next to the 550oe:))), just haven't been that busy with tree work this summer.
I'll get my 550ne out if you get your 555 out lol.

Haha, I'm not going down the oe/ne road; I've already got comfortable with the M2 designation. :)

Thing is it's not really a new edition as much as it's a whole new saw. IMO, it deserves a completely different model name; 552XP would have been my choice. With the 346 it was primarily a new top end and the addition of the purge primer. The two 550's share nothing but a spark plug.

If you compare the 2 of them, you'll notice a little more useable power with the M2. And a little more weight. The original, (there, now I'm doing it), remains a tad more easy to toss around, but the M2 digs in better. But those 2 differences aren't the big news here. The main story is that the M2 is going to be a far better saw to live with over it's lifetime. And it should be a longer lifetime to boot.

But you giving me a final push, yeah I'll make a point of bringing out the 555. And will also compare it to a 550M2 while I'm at it.

Haha, I'm not going down the oe/ne road; I've already got comfortable with the M2 designation. :)

Thing is it's not really a new edition as much as it's a whole new saw. IMO, it deserves a completely different model name; 552XP would have been my choice. With the 346 it was primarily a new top end and the addition of the purge primer. The two 550's share nothing but a spark plug.

If you compare the 2 of them, you'll notice a little more useable power with the M2. And a little more weight. The original, (there, now I'm doing it), remains a tad more easy to toss around, but the M2 digs in better. But those 2 differences aren't the big news here. The main story is that the M2 is going to be a far better saw to live with over it's lifetime. And it should be a longer lifetime to boot.

But you giving me a final push, yeah I'll make a point of bringing out the 555. And will also compare it to a 550M2 while I'm at it.
Well to be honest I didn't even realize you only said 550m2, I'm good with that, writing out mark II every time would get old.
I'm a big fan of the 346(and have a bunch), but with the options on the 550/550m2(;)) they are so much more efficient to use that it makes no sense for a tree service guy to use them for work. For firewooders they are still one of the best saws out there if your a saw snob and don't want a 450/455 rancher.
Seems like husky created a heck of a mess for dealers without totally changing the designation.
If the 550m2 performs close to the 254, which it should, it will be an incredible saw. I've heard nothing bad except a hard time tuning its self in smokey conditions.
I don't see the 550m2 having the power the 555 does(the numbers on the 555 seem to be off to me, little low), but with it being less weight its probably the same or a little better power to weight although I haven't ran the numbers or the 550m2 to know for myself yet.
Hopefully you and Walt can gwt some videos of the 550m2 compared to the 550 and maybe the 555. I think the new husky chain is a big deal though, can't wait to run that as I like the exl.

To get back on topic I found an older brave splitter I may be picking up soon, great cycle times on them and very well built.

Yeah, back on topic...……

What is considered a good cycle time? My old MTD 20 ton has I think a 12 second cycle, which seems just right for me. Not too fast, not too slow. After all, the operator sort of has a cycle time of his own. Some of the splitters with 17 second times are too slow, but I don't need to try to keep up with something in the 8 second range, let alone a Super Split type unit.

Yeah, back on topic...……

What is considered a good cycle time? My old MTD 20 ton has I think a 12 second cycle, which seems just right for me. Not too fast, not too slow. After all, the operator sort of has a cycle time of his own. Some of the splitters with 17 second times are too slow, but I don't need to try to keep up with something in the 8 second range, let alone a Super Split type unit.
I think 12 is great for a standard hydraulic splitter. Does that one have the gear reduction on the motor before the pump?

Many of the 22 ton units are around 14 advertised, the 34/37 typically fall into the 12 second range, and the 25/28 ton units can be all over the map since they have a wide array of engine sizes/pumps/and cylinders. I've found for what I do the 22 ton units make the most sense. They are around the 14 second mark, are fairly easy to move around, and they can handle most everything I need to split. Although I prefer the smaller 22 ton units for the reasons stated above, I've still owned a good number of the larger ones and the mid sized ones. If you want the best cycle times the 34-37 ton units are normally the fastest all the way around, they have a better cycle time under a light load and they don't need to kick into the slower side of the pump as often from what I can tell(never timed them under those conditions), as stated they are a good bit heavier to move and they drink a bit more fuel(but you can idle them down a bit for better fuel economy). When I get a new splitter(new to me used) I'll split a few cords with it just to make sure all is well, I've only had a few that made me want something faster, they were really slow but they still got the wood all split.

This is my MTD 20 ton. No gear reduction. Flathead Briggs without a float carb, which has less issues IMO. When they went to the 27 ton Cubs and Troy Bilts the cycle time ballooned to 17 seconds. 20 tons "sounds" low today, but like your 22's, it does everything I ask it to. The little 22 ton Ariens we sold was also 12 seconds. Their 27 tom was maybe 15? Not sure.

Twice, you mentioned being able to move a splitter, and I don't think that gets mentioned enough. These entry level splitters are light enough that you can horse them around by hand, rather than having to hook it up to a tractor/quad every time you need to move it. Not a feature they can list in the catalog, but it's important none the less.

IMG_0636.JPG

This is my MTD 20 ton. No gear reduction. Flathead Briggs without a float carb, which has less issues IMO. When they went to the 27 ton Cubs and Troy Bilts the cycle time ballooned to 17 seconds. 20 tons "sounds" low today, but like your 22's, it does everything I ask it to. The little 22 ton Ariens we sold was also 12 seconds. Their 27 tom was maybe 15? Not sure.

Twice, you mentioned being able to move a splitter, and I don't think that gets mentioned enough. These entry level splitters are light enough that you can horse them around by hand, rather than having to hook it up to a tractor/quad every time you need to move it. Not a feature they can list in the catalog, but it's important none the less.

View attachment 758871
Nice snow, I'm ready.
Yep the troy built has a larger cylinder so it makes more tonnage, but it looses the speed, I'd rather have the speed as the 22's have plenty of power for our woods.
I mention being able to move it because its real important to me, I've hurt my back multiple times moving splitters, they seem to be at the perfect height to get me :surprised3:. Anymore I just have my kids give them a push, grab the tractor and use the safety chains to hook to the bucket, or hook it to my mower/quad to move them. The way the jacks work on them isn't to helpful when trying to hook them to a hitch that is almost always lower than the splitter so you're fighting with the jack and trying to line up the ball at the same time :rare2:.
@MustangMike has a nice mod he did to his that helps to move his around, it would be nice on one if I kept them that long, maybe someday.

I have a 30 ton Forest King from TSC with Subaru engine.
Works good for me and my 6-8 cords an year.
Heavy, full beam, sips fuel, splits anything and everything.
$1500 CAD on sale (regular was about $2200)
View attachment 758516

Very nice looking splitter especially for that kind of money!

Only thing it needs is a solid roll bar over the motor. My buddy has similar design with the motor close to splitting rail. He whacked his motor pretty hard with a split that took a jump.

A lot of good splitters out there . I have had Yardman, SpeeCo, Huskee, Ram and DHT all good except for the Yardman (IMO) . The yardman had the half beam with cylinder support only on one end and did not hold up to my use.
But over the years have up graded to Brave / Iron Oak and Timberwolf all bought used but nice condition . Nothing like a good commercial splitter at my age. The Kohler engine on the DHT and the 22 ton Iron Oak I have no problems with. The old 8hp B.S engine still going. I do not use ethanol gas in any of my equipment and change oil regularly. splitting and noodeling 002.JPG saws 7splitters 003.JPG

This is the handle I put on my splitter. No matter if one or two people are moving it, it is so much easier. IMO, they should come with one of these, just gives you a lot more leverage, and lets you walk it over obstacles one side at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_171835335.jpg
    IMG_20181006_171835335.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 25
This is the handle I put on my splitter. No matter if one or two people are moving it, it is so much easier. OMO, they should come with one of these, just gives you a lot more leverage, and lets you walk it over obstacles one side at a time.

Nice bit of improvisation there Mike!

I seem to remember scanning a thread where it said you have a new 462 c-m ... bet you're loving that!

Long time no chat pal! :drinkingcoffee:

Just heard one of my nieghbors has a hand all bandaged up. Got nipped in the splitter. I'd guess him to be about 70-ish. Young or old gotta keep them hands clear!

ouch ... ya I've come close to pinches when getting creative and trying to speed through, but a reminder is always good. thanks!

Back