Wood splitter recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was younger I worked in several sheet metal shops that had all kinds of press breaks and press machines that would take off what ever you put in it. Some of the shops went by piece work, and that lead to a lot of accidents because people would get in a hurry trying to make more money. I quit those shops very quickly. They also had guys on fork lifts zipping around the shop carrying stacks of sheet metal. They would turn a corner or stop fast and sheet metal would slide off the lift and all over the shop.
One foreman asked why I was quitting and I said are you kidding me? This is the most unsafe place I had ever seen and I reported them to AOSA after I left.
When you do repetitive work you have to be extra careful not to get lulled into trance and get careless.
You got that right.
I have worked in many shops and have seen and heard lots of horror stories.
Thankfully no deaths in my time at GM or other plants, but I know what you mean about getting complacent.
I work 12 hour rotating shifts from 7-7 and I call it getting the 2/4's.
That is I seem to get tired from 2 until 4 so I have to pay more attention then, even if it means slowing down to do a task.
But I like fixing machines and making process improvements so its a good job I have now.
I'm also a certified Welder, Architectural Technologist and Mechanical Technologist.
I keep busy.

RuggedMade is an American company based in Boston and has been in the business of making rugged and effective heavy-duty power equipment since 2007. At least the company is from US.
Thanks. Perhaps you misunderstood me. Given you had been looking at it for some time and finally decided to purchase, I was keen to learn if you knew or had asked how much of that machine was USA made. Do you know? Did you ask?

Nobody is on trial here. I'm not saying it's a **** machine made by underage slave labour in some third world ******** that doesn't respect people or the environment, and that anyone who buys one is an unpatriotic supporter of slavery, human rights and environmental abuses who sold out their fellow Americans for a cheaper passsage through life. Nor am I suggesting people who are seduced by the price and perceived quality of this machine eat babies and beat old ladies.

I simply went to their site after your post on the matter, noticed a bunch of marketing words that seem to skirt a very simple question of where stuff is actually sourced from and fabricated, then noticed a similar vein of potential avoidance of a similar question posted about that machine on Amazon in December of last year, so it's got me wondering.

Not to further complicate the matter, but can I ask did you order the Chinese Raven or Japanese Honda engine?

And for the record, I have sent an email to RuggedMade directly, asking the same question I asked you originally, in addition to a few even more specific questions about the origin. I'm hopeful the answers will be specific to the questions posed and not some calculated, wilfully generic gibberish from the marketing department designed to deceive by omission.

I fail to see how such information could be considered privileged, confidential, or beyond the perfectly reasonable rights of anybody with an interest in knowing where a product or parts thereof are made. If it were, there would not be a body of businesses who already proudly shout from the rooftops they make their products in USA.

***Editing to add*** RuggedMade got back to me incredibly quickly to advise made in China. But not just anywhere but "our factory in China". I appreciate the quick response and direct answers.

Nobody is on trial here. I'm not saying it's a **** machine made by underage slave labour in some third world ******** that doesn't respect people or the environment, and that anyone who buys one is an unpatriotic supporter of slavery, human rights and environmental abuses who sold out their fellow Americans for a cheaper passsage through life. Nor am I suggesting people who are seduced by the price and perceived quality of this machine eat babies and beat old ladies.

:laugh: . . . that's a very colourful explanation !

Thanks. Perhaps you misunderstood me. Given you had been looking at it for some time and finally decided to purchase, I was keen to learn if you knew or had asked how much of that machine was USA made. Do you know? Did you ask?

I simply went to their site after your post on the matter, noticed a bunch of marketing words that seem to skirt a very simple question of where stuff is actually sourced from and fabricated, then noticed a similar vein of potential avoidance of a similar question posted about that machine on Amazon in December of last year, so it's got me wondering.

Not to further complicate the matter, but can I ask did you order the Chinese Raven or Japanese Honda engine?

And for the record, I have sent an email to RuggedMade directly, asking the same question I asked you originally, in addition to a few even more specific questions about the origin. I'm hopeful the answers will be specific to the questions posed and not some calculated, wilfully generic gibberish from the marketing department designed to deceive by omission.

I fail to see how such information could be considered privileged, confidential, or beyond the perfectly reasonable rights of anybody with an interest in knowing where a product or parts thereof are made. If it were, there would not be a body of businesses who already proudly shout from the rooftops they make their products in USA.

***Editing to add*** RuggedMade got back to me incredibly quickly to advise made in China. But not just anywhere but "our factory in China". I appreciate the quick response and direct answers.
Not on trial, feels like it. I did not ask were it was made. I did assume it was not made in this USA. As is most things now a days. Maybe you have lots of money and can buy the best of everything,
I work part time and collecting SS. Just trying to give this old back a break with the limited funds I have. I did not get the Honda motor for it,900 more. If the Raven motor craps out I will deal with that if I happens.

Not on trial, feels like it. I did not ask were it was made. I did assume it was not made in this USA. As is most things now a days. Maybe you have lots of money and can buy the best of everything,
I work part time and collecting SS. Just trying to give this old back a break with the limited funds I have. I did not get the Honda motor for it,900 more. If the Raven motor craps out I will deal with that if I happens.
Thanks and happy splitting.

I’ve had a 37 ton Northststar for several years it’s been a good machine and still is. I’ve made arrangements with Andrew Easton at Eastonmade to buy a new 12-22 at the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio in a couple weeks. I don’t sell wood but I burn 9 to 12 full cords of wood a season. I’m not getting any younger with the hydraulic lift and 6 way wedge I’m hoping it’s going to be easier on my body. The plan is to haul the logs to the splitter buck them up and roll all the big rounds on the lift and let the splits fall in the tractor bucket and haul then to the wood shed about 200’ away.

1000 can get you a DHT 30 ton. Call and talk with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayum, I paid $1200 three years ago for our DHT 27 Ton, on sale at Lowe's:(

Sure don't regret buying it, our 27 TDHT has been a Very Good Splitter, but to get a 30 Ton for $200 Less would have been even BETTER;):).

I would buy another DHT, without any hesitation, but I would Love to ADD a Super Split to the Wood Butchering Arsenal, they each have their advantages, and having BOTH would be Ideal:)

Nope, that and the fact that I just ordered yesterday and am waiting for delivery of a New 395XP, does Nothing to PROVE, that I have a Severe Case of CAD, or Wood Butcher's Disorder;):):surprised3::rolleyes:

Doug :cheers:

So I get my new splitter the other day and spend about 6 hours putting it together. At least one of of those were spent unwrapping the parts. Go and buy 12 gal. of hydraulic oil [$110] and start it up.
Fired up on the second pull didn't have the battery in yet. Cycled it to bleed the air out and the detent valve for the log lift was dripping oil out of were you adjust the pressure. Emailed them some pics and they said they would send me a new one, only they are on back order and maybe next week. Not to happy so far but I guess s it happens.IMG_20190917_130623695.jpg IMG_20190918_093909695.jpg

I bought one in the spring. It came in pieces and you have to put it totally together. Took a couple of hours. I love it. I just bought the 22 ton model and it has done great. I love the out feed table and of course the log lift. Best $2200 I’ve spent. Mine has the Chonda Raven motor it starts easily and runs well. Split about 6 cord so far.

About 8 with mine. Worst thing is trying to move it. The tongue is under the out feed table and must be removed to hook up and if you don't want to move the wood you have to dig it out. Now I do this. Helps to get it level to. image.jpg

Back