Wood splitter woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnuts

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This may not be an appropriate section for this post, but there's simply more people here.

I've got a 1993 Northern 5 hp log splitter, very basic. Has worked flawlessly for years. Fired it up this fall for the first time and the ram seemed slower than normal. After a couple of back and forth cycles it quit completely. It can only be 3 things, the pump, the valve, and the cylinder. I suspect the pump, it doesn't sound like it's pumping anything. And also because the replacement pump is 2 stage with same part number (Northern item # 1012). I haven't had this splitter since new but it has only demonstrated single stage ability since I had it, replacement pump looks exactly the same. Anyone have some troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks

This may not be an appropriate section for this post, but there's simply more people here.

I've got a 1993 Northern 5 hp log splitter, very basic. Has worked flawlessly for years. Fired it up this fall for the first time and the ram seemed slower than normal. After a couple of back and forth cycles it quit completely. It can only be 3 things, the pump, the valve, and the cylinder. I suspect the pump, it doesn't sound like it's pumping anything. And also because the replacement pump is 2 stage with same part number (Northern item # 1012). I haven't had this splitter since new but it has only demonstrated single stage ability since I had it, replacement pump looks exactly the same. Anyone have some troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks
numnuts.:laugh: love it. anyhow when you have it narrowed down, here is who i used for pump replacement when i needed one. check your oil level (replace if you never did) and replace your filter if you haven't. easy cheap stuff first.

http://www.daltonhydraulic.com/log-splitter-parts

There's 4 things actually, oil, which there is plenty of. Thanks for the link farmer steve, that's cheaper than northern.

Whatever I end up doing I will change fluid and filter, may consider adding gauge too, they are less than $20.

Latest posts

Back