wood storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk680

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a root/cold cellar under a porch. Think it's a good idea to store seasoned wood there? I could fit 4 cords. But what about bugs and the humidity. Does anyone store wood like these?

Wood can take moisture if its damp. What I would do is stack it out in the open air for at leat 4 to 5 months, then take it in for storage, let it give up some moisture before bringing it in there. I have my wood out for 5 to 6 months, then put a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cord at a time in my basement, and I always run the dehumidifier cause its an old farm house. Never had a problem with mold or bugs in the house.

Have stored 2 cord of seasoned fuel wood in a workshop (no rain or snow) in prep for winter. No problems. Suggest you keep precipitation off it and keep it off the ground. Maybe bugs, but alot of those are already in the wood. My 2 cents worth...

The bugs in the wood are what concern me. I'm afraid of infesting my house with bugs. But it would be great to have lots of wood stored so close.The cold cellar is all concrete and cement block and is out side the foundation of my house only one common wall with the house. I thought I could put a small window/door to the outside and load the wood through the window. The wood would be seasoned when I put it in.

That would work, if its all concrete and dry. I was thinking of a dirt floor cellar. As far as bugs are concerned, by the time the wood is seasoned, the bark should fall off if it already hasn't. Bugs wouldnt be a problem. We have stored 3 cords of wood in this basement before, without any critters overtaking the house. The only thing is, if you have any returns for a furnace taking air from that space, you have a possibility of air contamination, or possibly mold. If not dont worry about it, and store away!

Latest posts

Back