Wood stove area carpet/floor protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is what I'm working with. I finished off my wood furnace area over the summer to be a 60s living room. Before the carpet it was just the brick hearth that I made and some gym square mat things. Those got lots of burn spots in them. As a kid my parents always put an indoor outdoor runner in front of the fire place for this reason. That's my plan unless anyone has a better idea. Ive been thinking about making the hearth bigger but im not sure how I feel about since I've already made it bigger once.

20200917_203850.jpg

I'd at least remove the carpet that's almost under the stove.

Yea i fit it around the brick.. Im looking for something that looks decent or is a real easy winter time fix. The best thing would be to go buy more bricks and mortar. If I'm careful nothing will happen but those times when you open the door and stuff just falls out is what im trying to prepare for.

What's wrong with concrete? Could even paint it to match the carpet.

I'd be less of a toe smasher than the brick.

I'd just be worried an errant ember flies onto the carpet and catches fire after smoldering.

THOUGH, a friend had tall shag style carpet in front of his fireplace and somehow it never caught fire. It just had a wire mesh screen that stopped most of the bigger stuff.

Tile. No need for such big ugly bricks.
Lay down 1/2" thick cement board, follow a youtube vid on laying/cutting tile. Put an edging strip around it as you install.

However, you should also be aware of fire codes. Certain stoves require certain sizes of flooring protection around the stove. Make sure yours has the proper clearances and protections.

This is the what I did. I thought about what Choppychoppy said about painting the concrete and bought some blocks and painted them they are higher than the brick. Don't like it to bad. I grew up with a brick fireplace and built the brick hearth myself because it is my style.

Quick fix for this year while I think about changing it or not. The room is not that big. Its like 10x15
20200919_174206.jpg

I'll echo Unc--cement board, Hardie Board--the stuff you use for ceramic tile underlayment makes an economical hearth material. You won't win any Better Homes & Gardens award for esthetics, but it's simple, effective, and won't break the bank.

I'd want a lot of hearth in your setup. You don't want embers landing on carpet.

This is the what I did. I thought about what Choppychoppy said about painting the concrete and bought some blocks and painted them they are higher than the brick. Don't like it to bad. I grew up with a brick fireplace and built the brick hearth myself because it is my style.

Quick fix for this year while I think about changing it or not. The room is not that big. Its like 10x15
View attachment 856114

Looks very nice. My concern is that the clearances around the stove to combustqbles looks minimum. If it is not up to code your insurance can cancel your insurance or, in case of fire, not pay.

Looks very nice. My concern is that the clearances around the stove to combustqbles looks minimum. If it is not up to code your insurance can cancel your insurance or, in case of fire, not pay.

I measured all that before I put the foam board up last winter. Its a wood furnace not a stove so the clarences are less. The whole inside of the chase is wrapped in tin not panneling. There is no foam board behind the stove pipe for that reason.

Edit. I just looked in the manual and its 8 inches on each side to combustibles and 16 inches in front of the door for non combustable flooring. Im well within all of that.

I'll echo Unc--cement board, Hardie Board--the stuff you use for ceramic tile underlayment makes an economical hearth material. You won't win any Better Homes & Gardens award for esthetics, but it's simple, effective, and won't break the bank.

I'd want a lot of hearth in your setup. You don't want embers landing on carpet.

The issue I always had was when I open the door stuff falls out and sometimes rolls off the brick onto the floor. The 4 inch block i put around it is 2 inches taller than the brick so it should stop the rolling part. I may still buy a bs little rug just incase my theory is wrong. Lol

Back