Wood Stove for Sauna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looks like a Sauna is in the future. Anyone have a suggestion as far as brand of wood burning stove for Sauna?

There are several smaller operations in the UP of Michigan that make good stoves.

The two that I am familiar in MN are Kuuma of Tower MN and Spartan of Gilbert MN. Spartan is a standard stove. Kuuma is a very advanced, clean burning stove with technology borrowed from their renowned line of home heating stoves. I think Lamppa Mfg (makers of Kuuma) are (or were) site sponsors here.

The other thing you need to follow up on is your local building codes and insurance coverage. These days they usually require double walled pipe and sometimes also require a UL stove. If you are putting it in a free standing building out in the woods you can often avoid these things. If you have it attached to your home or within city limits you can sometimes run into problems. Do not let this discourage you, especially if you run into an inspector unfamiliar with saunas. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

Fortunately, it will be a free standing building approx. 100' from the house. I found Nippa from the UP wasn't able to find any other manufacturers. I do like the looks of the Kuuma with the glass door.

Depends on your budget. I have the same plan in the not too distant future and plan on going with a relatively cheap stamped steel secondary burn stove. Don't want a catalytic for that application, plus i feel secondary burns take to being overheated better than cat models.

Depends on your budget. I have the same plan in the not too distant future and plan on going with a relatively cheap stamped steel secondary burn stove. Don't want a catalytic for that application, plus i feel secondary burns take to being overheated better than cat models.
You really want a dedicated sauna stove for a sauna though. Regular home heating stoves can crack if contacted by water.

You really want a dedicated sauna stove for a sauna though. Regular home heating stoves can crack if contacted by water.

You're referring to water splashing on it not the humid and steamy air right? I'll habe to do more research then

As a side note, the fellow who ran Spartan Sauna in Gilbert closed the business as he has retired. I was surprised to see that a 3 generation family business did not continue but at the same point it is a different market than when his dad and grandpa ran it.

Back