Wood truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonw0586

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at a truck for firewood. Want sonething I can load up without brraking the bank less then 2k in central ohio will drive in woods and on highways even as it will double as a boat hauler...its 99percent going to be a early 90s to early 200s ram silverado or ford...but I'm leaning more towards a silverado and away from a ford with a ram being in the middle..wanting some info from those who know more then me as to if theres years or makes and models I shpuld look for or stay away from..obviously 4x4 is a must. Along bed. Wpuld be a great thing but are there motora or trannys better or worse for wood hauling? Or rear ends to look for or away from?? Also dont know if a standard would be better for hauling or an auto would be but im comfortable in a standard..thanks for opinions arborostsite!!

From my understanding the GM "classic" body style that ended in 98/99 depending on which model is probably a bit more rugged than the 99 and up rounded body style. Seem to resist rust at least a bit better up here in the rust belt. 350 and 454 are good motors and plentiful.

Whe you're talking beaters, GM is tough to beat for price and availability of parts. I put a transmission in my 04' last year. 600 bucks for a rebuilt trans and torque converter, only other expense was a case of trans fluid. Good used 5.3's can be had for $500-$600 and they are plentiful. Same can be said for differentials and transfer cases. As was noted earlier, road salt does take it's toll on frames, so get under it and look around, especially if it came from the mitten state.

Yeah there are plenty of Chev/GM trucks and cheap parts in my neck of the woods. 1500-2500 series would be great and you should be able to find something in your price range if you’re not picky on looks.
Here in east coast Canada, it’s common to find either a truck with a good body and bad frame or good frame and bad body. Your choice.

Quick shot of ol' red up in the woods this afternoon with a load of hard maple "shorties". I told my brother in law I cut them short so they'd be easier for my mother in law to get in the stove. Truth is, it was so hot and sticky the day I cut it I didn't have my glasses on.

Attachments

• 20200318_173317.jpg
    20200318_173317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I had a 91 k1500 that was a wonderful truck, I abused the snot out of it in the 14 years I owned it. I hauled a lot of gravel and firewood and the only major thing I had to do was rebuild the rearend when the infamous gov-lock literally locked the whole rearend splitting the carrier.

In my area its tough to find a 4X4 pickup for $2,000 that you aren't going to need a trailer and another truck to get it home. Quick story I pickup a 2011 F-150 four door that a old 80 plus year old farmer had back in Dec with 10,000 miles on it. It has a few bumps and scrapes but I going to use it for my farm truck so no problem. I had a 1995 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with 125,000 miles on it not all rusted out and a pretty good pickup. I wanted $2,000 for it had it on Craigs list and all I got was folks that wanted it for free. So I just kept using it. Truck didn't owe me anything and it was still a good truck. Couple weeks ago I put it on facebook market place. Truck was sold in less than 12 hours with the $2,000 cash in my hand. Guy drove 100 miles to buy it. He rolled in with a buddy in a 95 Dakota with 450,000 miles on it. Hope you find a truck that fits your needs for your budget.

$2000 doesn't buy much 4x4! You can find a running rust bucket for that, or a solid body and frame with no engine or tranny. I paid a bit more than that a few years ago for my 90 K2500 with rusty cab corners but a new engine and transmission. Early 90's are not the best years for any of the big 3.
Chevy went to electronic heat/Ac control and multiple unit stereo that was prone to failures along with IFS and the problem plagued 700R4 auto. The TBI 305/350 engines are simple enough but lack HP and MPG of the earlier and later engines. There was also the unremarkable 6.2/6.5 diesel engine.
Ford wanted the worst of both worlds and used a twin traction beam front axle (although heavier trucks still used the solid axle) and the joke of a truck engine 302 v8. You would be better off with the 300 inline 6 than the struggling 302 or the gallons per mile 351 v8. The heavy F250 got the ZF 5speed the only good transmission in the Ford lineup. Some F150's even got the push button and hope maybe this time it engages transfer case. The diesel options for Ford were a bigger joke than the GM offers were.
Dodge was a little behind the times with their update in the 90's. There truck was basically the same as the 80's but with fuel injection. They didn't sell as well and are a bit harder to find which also means parts cost a little more. But Dodge was the first to put a medium duty diesel in a light truck and started the power wars that is still going on today. But the early Dodge Cummins were transmission destroyers although they fixed that with the NV4500 in time for the body change in 94. But with a $2000 budget, don't bother looking for a Cummins.

Back