Woodchuck WC-12 Knives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I need a little help. I've never changed knives on a WoodChuck WC-12 and I need help in doing so. Please see the photo as there is a square nut and I believe the knives are serrated. Can someone direct me on how to change these out?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

Attachments

• WC 12.JPG
    WC 12.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 32
Knives are serrated.
There is a knife gauge for setting knife height. 3/8" is optimum, and 7/16" is maximum according to owners manual I have.
Bed plate to knife clearance should be 0.013"- 0.016"
Variation between knives of .002"- .003" is acceptable.

Have fun. It's been years since I wrenched on my old woodchuck, and
I don't miss it one bit.

One other nugget of helpful info for you straight from the manual:

"3. Screw gib locking jack screws into knife locking gibs until they shoulder against gib inserts. If the knife is cocked and does not drop into it's respective corrugation it will be impossible to insert the knife gib into the knife slot as the head of the screws will strike the upper edge of the knife slot."

"Tighten the gib locking screws (turn clockwise) securing each knife to the rotor head and remove knife locking gibs and knife."

That's straight from the manual. Sounds easy, huh?
I haven't changed mine out in over six years, but vaguely remember it as being unpleasant.
Hopefully Matt will chime in as he likely has this operation down to a science.

You're welcome, Dave

I'll mail you a photocopy of the manual if you want to pm me your mailing address.
My chipper is a Model Series V

Cheers,
Dave.

I really appreciate your help and offer. This is a customer's chipper and we spoke with Matt and have decided not to do the job. I've been in the industry for 13 years and I just don't like chuck and duck chippers. I won't even take one in on trade.

Again, thanks for everything!

Dave
Global Equipment
You're welcome, Dave

I'll mail you a photocopy of the manual if you want to pm me your mailing address.
My chipper is a Model Series V

Cheers,
Dave.
appreciate

The fellow who sold me my C&D died in 2009 (the late George Powers of Trenton Tree Service, Ontario).
He was a nice man, and it was my first chipper. The start of a great learning curve in human suffering, C&D pathophysiology, stress, joy, anger, frustration, etc. :).

They really aren't that difficult if you know a few simple tricks. Some day I'll make some instructional videos on how to change the blades. I think the world will be a better place then.

Does anyone still have a WC-12 chipper manual the could email me perhaps?

I am getting mine ready for work and have a few questions

I run a Woodchuck WC12 and have a crumpled, stained, messy manual that the previous owner found online somewhere and printed. I just did a brief search and found the following link that might work for you if you sign up for something.

If you have no luck and have specific questions, maybe I can help. Mine's a 1997 (I believe) model, Deutz diesel.

Back