Woodpecker Attacking Large Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooba72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone - I have a question regarding woodpeckers. I have a large Maple with a split trunk that was being attacked by a woodpecker this afternoon. I have always thought that this indicated insect infestation, rot, or disease. I'm wondering whether there is anything I can do to evaluate the health of this tree - Most of the certified arborists around here prefer to cut down trees as opposed to treating them. This particular tree would be irreplaceable and I do not want to lose it, if it's at all possible. I was actually planning on cabling the tree prior to seeing the woodpecker. I do not see any carpenter ants or any other insects on the lower portion of the trunk.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Attachments

• 20170507_132216.jpg
    20170507_132216.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 50
  • 20170507_132259.jpg
    20170507_132259.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20170507_132322.jpg
    20170507_132322.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 20170507_132405.jpg
    20170507_132405.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
Wood peckers are definitely a sign of bugs but not just an occasional pecking. If he pecked a bit then flew off he may of thought he found a gold mine and instead found fools gold! If its regular activity then you likely have bugs and need to evaluate type of bug and the extent of damage done if any. Try to find a ca that specializes in phc and ipm and pay for an assessment at least then you will know its condition and what can be done. Have you found any frass? Is there holes near where you saw mr pecker? those large cuts almost certainly mean decay is present btw!

Looks like a Pileated Woodpecker is trying to make a home in your tree. This is not an indication that the tree is in decline. Like rope said find an arborist who specializes in preservation.
That cable you mentioned is a good first step.

Ok; thoughts, suggestions; 1. you could start by mulching if it is not yet mulched 2. You seem to be in the northeast pretty broad area but call your county extension agent to see if they can advise you as to which bugs are prevalent to your area and to your tree. Should be free info there and ask if they have any consulting arborists they can recommend. Expect to pay for the assessment and he should thoroughly examine the tree and he will ask you its history including those large cuts! He might actually send a climber up to examine the canopy or he may do so himself. Then he should present you his findings and solutions and it could be to wait until fall and do a cable and brace and reduction. Depending on if or the type of bugs present and degree of infestation if any, ipm might be in the plan but should be only after phc is considered. Organic mulching is a start and has an excellent cost to benefit ratio. If you mulch it yourself, don't pile it against the trunk and don't get too deep with the mulch 2 inch is about right and as far out to the dripline as you can stand or to the dripline if aesthetics is not a huge concern in your landscape. I like mulch in my landscape but then i don't have sod etc!

Speaking of pileated woodpeckers, these two were whacking away on an old maple in my woods yesterday, while my wife and me, were out there digging Ramps...

standard.jpg

I leave some dead standing for the wildlife to enjoy...

SR

Don't wood peckers attack dead trees? Maples around here seem to break off unexpectedly and then you find that they were hollow inside. I don't think wood peckers are a good sign.
Yes woodpeckers are not the reason a tree is damaged or failing health. They are great at finding huge voids full of carpenter ants in trees. Especially those Pileated woodpeckers. Beautiful birds.
This usually means that the tree is old and hollowed out or has had problems and is now in a degraded state and will not survive.
I usually leave some of these trees on my woodlot for the peckers, but if it's a yard tree you may want to remove it sooner rather than later.

I'm located on Long Island and I do use arborist wood chips for mulch across my entire property - including around this tree. I have been occupied with work over the past week or so - but when I am outside, I have not noticed the wood pecker on this tree. I do plan on getting an arborist to evaluate it.

One more question - Can someone provide me a rough estimate on what I might be looking at to cable this tree (provided it's healthy enough for it)? I can provide additional pictures. Thanks again

I'm located on Long Island and I do use arborist wood chips for mulch across my entire property - including around this tree. I have been occupied with work over the past week or so - but when I am outside, I have not noticed the wood pecker on this tree. I do plan on getting an arborist to evaluate it.

One more question - Can someone provide me a rough estimate on what I might be looking at to cable this tree (provided it's healthy enough for it)? I can provide additional pictures. Thanks again
Prices vary as much as quality,proper cabling works with the particular tree in question and should not be over tight, it only comes into play before failure. Proper anzi rated hardware is somewhat pricey but like almost anything in life you get what you pay for! I would wait to hear the assessment keeping in mind timing will be paramount to anything else done to your tree. Meaning ; when were those large cuts made 1 year 2 3 etc. Proper plant health care considers historical events, root health, any deficiencies in soil just to name a few before planning any future actions. Try to be accurate as to when the tree received those cuts any grade changes, droughts,floods, etc. Price is also regional, what costs 700.00 here seems to be double that in other areas of the country and is why I recently went to work for another company.

Latest posts

Back