Woodpecker damage ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southpaw

I react 2 B Venom
Reaction score
Have an apple tree just hammered with these markings all over the apple tree

Have a Black Walnut with deep bore marks up and down the tree

Assume these are from a wood pecker , noticed this a couple years ago and believe the trees are capable of healing their self but concerned by the amount of activity on these trees, seems to be getting worse now
Is there something I can do to help these trees out ? I do leave old white pines for the woodpeckers to feast on further back on the property but wonder why they single out these live tress.......I actually don't know if this is woodpecker damage so if not please let me know what this is
Thanks

Attachments

• apple tree 2021.JPG
    apple tree 2021.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Black Walnut 2021.JPG
    Black Walnut 2021.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Thanks , that one picture looks like my apple tree
Looks like I have some planning to do as I want o save these tress
You can tie some Mylar strips sold to scare birds away from cherry trees; don’t really know how effective that is.
you can also get a plastic owl and put it in the tree or nearby. I have suggested people make a pepper spray from bulk hot pepper powder and try that .
First check to see if there are fresh holes; it might be old damage. However , when you see a lot of holes, it usually means the tree is a favorite one and they will keep damaging it.
Good luck

Yeah I have to do something just not sure what yet !

The trees seems very adapt and able to recover from the damage already done but I want to go a step further this season

Not certain how I will approach but will most certainly be doing something and very soon , these are tress I want to save

The birds are not going to kill your trees but if you got kids or grandkids that need to learn how to use a .22, now would be the time.

Latest posts

Back