"Woodpecker" splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw one on ebay. Almost seems too good to be true. B&S Vanguard engine, Haldex pump, hydraulic log lift, for $1800 including shipping. Looks good in the pictures, but I've never heard anyone mention one of these and I don't want a Harbor Freight like junker.

I don't know if it's OK to post a link or not on here, so I didn't to be safe. If you search item number 370403518043 on Ebay it will come up.

Interesting post.

However, with all due respect, I cannot agree that the Woodpecker is "almost too good to be true"

If you are familiar with e-bay, use the search feature, refine it to display according to price.

I did not count, but between $2000 and $1600, there are *at least* a hundred new splitters comparable to the Woodpecker for sale

Also, your excellent observation about the welds, etc is ever so important

Guaranteeing only the pump and cylinder speaks volumes about construction to this gassey old farmer

Interesting post.

However, with all due respect, I cannot agree that the Woodpecker is "almost too good to be true"

If you are familiar with e-bay, use the search feature, refine it to display according to price.

I did not count, but between $2000 and $1600, there are *at least* a hundred new splitters comparable to the Woodpecker for sale

Also, your excellent observation about the welds, etc is ever so important

Guaranteeing only the pump and cylinder speaks volumes about construction to this gassey old farmer

I searched "log splitter" and refined price from $1200-$2000 and that was the ONLY splitter with a log lift that came up. Without the lift, I agree that there are many, may options.

Last edited:
I'd never risk ordering without seeing it in person or reading of lots of others that were happy with them. I was hoping someone has seen one or at least heard of them before.

I guess it's back to looking around. Maybe I'll have to get something and plan to add a log
Lift of my own down the road.

Hope you find one you like.

Been burning wood for many a year, cutting and splitting from farm fence rows.

Personally, I would find little or no use for a log lift.
For me, 90% of rounds, it is much quicker and only a little less easy to just pick em up and go.

Actually, the lift set up on the Woodpecker for an old guy like me is probably more trouble to step around and trip over. ;-))

If you do happen to get a few nutcrackers, and do not have that farmer favorite front end bucket on any tractor, a few whacks with a good hand splitter or even sledge and wedge will easily "halfin" em for easier handling.

Finally if you have that lift as a definite "must have", look at some of those neat newer models that quickly change to vertical split

Log lift is rated at 220lbs. So I have to ask what's the point if that is all it will lift.

Scott

Good question.

Anyway, everybody knows what the top-end brands are, what the mid-range brands are, and well, what's left. I wouldn't buy it sight unseen, but who knows, if it had a solid beam and was put together right, maybe it would be worthwhile. For now, I'll stick with my TW.

Where do you stand to operate it? The lift is on the same side as the hydraulic valve and the tray is in the way on the other side. Does not look workable to me.

The more I look the more I go back to the Iron and Oak or maybe a Northern splitter as a cheaper option. The local tractor supply has splitters that have been sitting outside and are rusted last time I looked. They seem to get cheaper made each year too. The 22 ton now has a vertical, cheap B&S engine. Even the 28 ton still has the much cheaper Honda GC egine. I don't even see the 35 ton as an option online anymore.

Last edited:
The more I look the more I go back to the Iron and Oak or maybe a Northern splitter as a cheaper option. The local tractor supply has splitters that have been sitting outside and are rusted last time I looked. They seem to get cheaper made each year too. The 22 ton now has a vertical, cheap B&S engine. Even the 28 ton still has the much cheaper Honda GC egine. I don't even see the 35 ton as an option online anymore.

My TSC left the weathered display models on the lot and said they'd put together a brand new one for me last summer. I didn't even have to ask.

Log Lift

Howdy All,
In response to the usefulness of a log lift, I recently added one to mine. Even when I don't have large chunks to lift, I have found by placing it in a half raised position, I can pile it full of pieces to split then I start the splitter and work through that pile quickly then turn off the splitter. I just keep repeating the cycle until I am done. This has saved me a lot on fuel as well as decreasing the hours on the machine. I wish I had added it sooner. :clap:

In response to the usefulness of a log lift,

I don't think folks were questioning the usefulness of log lifts in general...they were questioning this design. Doesn't lift that large of a log (although 220# would be plenty for me 'cause it ain't making it into my truck to be brought to the splitter if it weighs that much...other people with better equipment may run into nastier pieces though), and most importantly it looks like you'd need to be reaching over the log lift to position wood if you're operating the controls from the side they're mounted on (the safer side to do so). Most splitters the log lift is opposite the controls so you can be near the beam and pull wood towards yourself.

I have this same log splitter. Mine has a Subaru Robin 9HP engine and a 30 ton ram. I got it from Harbor Freight so it does not say woodpecker on it but it is the exact same machine otherwise. I have split about 10-12 cords with it over the past 2 years. There are a lot of things I like about this splitter but more importantly there is a major design flaw that you should be aware of. The beam is not reinforced and will bend. Unless you never hit a knot and always split the finest dry straight grain hardwoods under 12" diameter, the beam will bend. I called HF after the first 1/2 cord to complain and they sent me a replacement beam. I have not installed it because I am trying to come up with a good way to reinforce it before installing everything onto it. It is not going to be very easy because of the ram and sled design. In the meanwhile I must be careful about tough stuff when splitting. The beam just keeps getting worse and I have to keep trying to bend some of it back with a sledge hammer. Other than that, the machine has many good qualities and the log lift is fantastic. Don't worry about the 220lb rating. It handles much more than that and the welds are done properly. You should worry more about the beam. Because of that, I would not recommend this machine.

i would never ................

buy a splitter that has the axles welded to the hydraulic tank.I think it's a little expensive for what it is.anyone can bolt a Haldex pump to a Chicom splitter.

Latest posts

Back