Woods Kit.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you carry into the woods with you ?

generally I will have

chainsaw
PPE- hard hat , gloves and chaps
tool belt - this in an old army pistol belt with the load bearing suspenders

the belt carries
4 wedges
file
scwrench on a loop with a clip to the belt (i got tired of loosing it when it would slip out)
has a hammer loop sometimes I carry a hammer and other times I carry my ax separate mostly depend if I will be just setting a small wedge bucking rounds or if I need to really drive a wedge falling a tree.

I do need to get better about bringing water , I find I am very thirsty when I get back to the truck I drink a lot more than the saw does

in the truck I carry a lot more tools spare saw(s), pickaroon , maul , cant hook , timber claws , stump vise , gas , oil , spare chain. I generally don't get more than about 100 yards from the truck even when working with the tractor or skid steer , the tail gate just makes such a handy place to gas and oil up and stage gear that I move it near were we are working.

but I am just a firewood cutter so anything I cut will be hauled out so never too far from the truck .

I created a list for all the stuff I like to have with in the truck as not all of it can live in the truck and I was forgetting things I liked to have so that i don't forget it sitting in the garage when I go out to cut

I did start a rubber made tote on the advice of someone on here to put PPE and tool belt and small stuff in so that they are all in one place and can be easily grabbed and put in the truck to go.

I have been thinking about making or buying a ax scabbard and switching to a shorter ax or a hatchet rather than a hammer or large ax I just haven't gotten to it.

what do you take ?

tractor with grapple or forks on front and carry all box, and/or trailer on back (everything listed below gets loaded in box or trailer)
2 or 3 chainsaws (one for limbing, one for bucking, and to serve as a backup in case I pinch a bar)
cant hook
hookaroon
12" log tongs (two of them)
chaps
helmet
goggles
water jug
saw gas
bar oil
axe
hatchet
tape measure
saw files
screnches
felling wedges
rags
cell phone (in case something happens)

We pretty much cut wood on the same farm 15 miles from home. I have a small pickup box trailer with a shell that has doors on the side also. I have supplies in totes like towels cleaner extra oil extra gloves extra ppe extra chains and what I call consumables. In other totes I have hammers can't hooks wedges chain saw tools those tools are away's in that trailer. Trailer lives in the shed. Night before wood cutting party trailer is hooked up consumable tote gone threw and stocked as needed. Fresh gas is loaded fresh ready to go chain saws are loaded. Two air bubbles get filled and loaded in the trailer. I like air to blow saws off before fueling. In the morning cooler with food drinks loaded in the trailer and off we go. When we cut wood my two helpers are there and I want to cut wood and not have to run to town or home to get something.

Falling timber all day normally I’ll have two to three power heads with me from 60cc to 100cc bars from 32 to 42 sometimes a 60. All my chains, chaps, axes from 3 to 10 lbs and jack handle all live in a 5 gallon bucket I can grab easy at the day to bring in for sharping as well as dry out. Hard hat, gloves, and glasses all live in the truck as well as the 45 ton jack. Gas can out of an old gallon oil jug, bar oil, and a gallon of water all are tied together to pack on the opposite shoulder of the saw. Most days I’ll pack out 6 to 8 wedges in my pouch on the belt, two axes stuffed behind my wedge belt, two saws one on the shoulder and one packed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit I'm spoiled, I cut in the woods surrounding my house. My kit is different if I plan to be felling trees, or processing already grounded. I usually have my ATV and this small kit box bungee'd to it:

IMG_8100.JPG

Box will carry any of my 421, 510, or 6100 Dolmar. And, of course, my Trusty security team leader, Scout who shows up in most of my pictures. If I need something else, it's a short walk back to my shed or garage.

I should have mentioned, I also typically cut on my 21 acres.

As much as I enjoy alone time in the woods, there are times I wish I had 2 or 3 sons to help out.

I should have mentioned, I also typically cut on my 21 acres.

As much as I enjoy alone time in the woods, there are times I wish I had 2 or 3 sons to help out.

I wish I had some built in help also. My two helpers are two guys that like to hunt so I trade some hunting rights on our land for them helping me clean up the pasture and get my 15 cord firewood supply for the next year. We have became good friends over the years. The one has a son that I have hired over the years to help out too. The other one is like me and doesn't have any kids.

for cutting I have a sweet deal , my friend took over his families farm , his wife and kids and a hired hand live there his parents now retired live next door.
the farm is 8 miles from my house.

if you look at my avatar I cut to the right and left side of the gravel road and in fence rows and lately some big yard trees that need to come down or came down in a wind storm. it is a small woods surrounded by fields but hadn't had hardly anything cut in 50 years.

the farm has a skid steer and tractors.

we assess the dangerous trees many dying with root rot or tops dying hollow maples , spiral cracks or those in the way for the farm and take them down as we can all the logs get piled near the woods off the side yard and I can back my truck right up to it and processes any time it isn't muddy. I can store split wood there on pallets also . the farm even provides some free pallets.

the brush is taken out to a pile and burned when the weather is right

on a day when we are falling it used to be just him , Me and some times my son but depending on what else is going on his hired hand helps also now.

I honestly have 2-3 years wood sitting in logs to process after our last few days but there is a bunch more that have broken tops or rotten tops .

hoping the weather will cooperate and we will be out again Sunday afternoon and get 2-3 more trees down and cleaned up.

two years later , not too much has changed . I had re-hung this collins head on new wood and cleaned it up quite a bit the same week as this thread started 2 years ago, I ended up cutting it down it is 29 inches. I cut till it felt right with good balance

it is a nice length for me for good accurate strikes on wedges , enough to split and this was my answer to what to carry for driving wedges , and other tasks
1610136128563.png

Latest posts

Back