Woods ported 372 xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just want to say that I'm not a professional porter and I've only done a few of my own saws so the outcome may be good or it could turn out to be a dud. I'm trying to keep the cost low so I'm using a mixture of OEM and aftermarket parts, whatever I have on hand. I'm starting out with an aftermarket case that I painted a cast iron color engine enamel.

KIMG1288.JPG

Started re-porting the OEM cylinder, I ground on this cylinder over a year ago and it was pretty rough so I cleaned it and the pop up piston up. Put the Timing wheel on it and got, EX 99 TR 120 and IN 80. Squish is .019 I'm going to to set the transfers at 117 and see how it does. Forgot to mention that I had to take some off the cylinder flange to get the cylinder to set flat on the case.

Attachments

• KIMG1303.JPG
    KIMG1303.JPG
    824.8 KB · Views: 40
  • KIMG1298.JPG
    KIMG1298.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • KIMG1299.JPG
    KIMG1299.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
It's going to be getting black plastics and I'll be painting the clutch cover that gray color. I already have a black OEM starter housing and top cover but will have to dye a tank for it with RIT dye. I'll be dyeing an aftermarket tank for it, not the OEM one in the pic.

KIMG1297.JPG

Finished it putting it together and fired it a few minutes ago, now I just got to get it tuned.
View attachment 866220View attachment 866221
I’m really diggin‘ that paint scheme, but I feel like it needs a little more silver in there somewhere, maybe a silver recoil? Now I wanna get one of these and trick it out like this, darn it!

Short update: I've had a AM 390 carb laying around for a couple of years and thought I'd give it a try, so I put it on last night. It could have been just in my head but it felt like it helped it out some. I found an OEM 390 carb on ebay and ordered it. I also advanced it some and that also helped it out a little more.

Short update: I've had a AM 390 carb laying around for a couple of years and thought I'd give it a try, so I put it on last night. It could have been just in my head but it felt like it helped it out some. I found an OEM 390 carb on ebay and ordered it. I also advanced it some and that also helped it out a little more.

You put a lot of work in there, I bet it was a learning experience.
Never heard of dying plastics, how does on go about that.

You put a lot of work in there, I bet it was a learning experience.
Never heard of dying plastics, how does on go about that.
It's real easy, I took two boxes of black powder Rit dye, two cups of vinager and mixed them up with water in an old soup pot, simmered them around 20-30 minutes and that's it. Just make sure they are grease and oil free.

1605048848468.png

The most common proper use of vinegar in dyeing is to produce an acid pH for acid dyes. Acid dyes, which are used to color protein fibers such as wool, as well as nylon, require a mildly acidic pH to form a permanent bond to the fiber. Vinegar is one of the least expensive and most convenient sources of this acid, especially for beginning dyers. It's safe to work with, safe for shipping, and readily available in grocery stores.

Back