Woods porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i owned a clamshell saw it probly wouldnt get ported for the above reason. we do have 310 in the company, i have opend the muffler up removed the limiters on the carb and thats likely as far as ill take it.

id recomend a used husky 359 to start your build

excelent choice to start with

Varmit

if i owned a clamshell saw it probly wouldnt get ported for the above reason. we do have 310 in the company, i have opend the muffler up removed the limiters on the carb and thats likely as far as ill take it.

id recomend a used husky 359 to start your build

EHH? sorry.wont use,own or run a husky saw.The new ones anyway,the reason being is i dont like how cheap they look and feel and how muck loose plastic there is.They also have a freaking primer bulb.Dont tell me thats not ridiculos.Sorry just wont run one.I love my hucky blower though.

Thanks,
Anthony.C

Is it really that big of a differance? If your charging hundreds of dollars to port them, which is crazy, then who cares if its a clamshell? There all 2 strokes.

If you have to ask you must have never run a ported saw makes me smile ear to ear every time I fire mine up.:)

I have ported a 290 and man that thing ran pretty darn good it was in trade for a 026 so it was worth it. I may at some point try one with some machine work to adjust squish I think I can have the bearing mounting upper half re machined round after machining base down but it will be my saw for fun.

If you have to ask you must have never run a ported saw makes me smile ear to ear every time I fire mine up.:)

Nope,aint never run a ported saw.Thats why im asking about it, i dont know anyone who has a ported saw.Sorry no offense to your Huskys as i said in the previous post.I just personally dont like there saws.

Thanks,
Anthony.C

With all due respect to the fabulous builders, modders and users on this thread, I must disagree to a point.

I have ported a half dozen or more clamshell 2 strokes (saws and trimmers) with excellent results.
It does take longer and you cannot do as extensive a job as you can with a pro built saw but there are VERY noticeable gains waiting there for the taking.

Any time you increase an engines ability to breathe there will be performance gains.
Let me be perfectly clear on this, if I were to start out in the morning to buy a saw to do a port job on, the MS390 would NOT be on my short list....BUT...if that is what you have, then that is what you work with.

Mike

the only loose plastic on saw is the chain brake or should be and stihl has them on them so i guess theyre junk to.

i run both husky and stihl im also a cheap tightass and will buy wichever deal is the best at the time i dont care wether it stihl or husky.

you may miss out on huskies very strong points by being brand biased

the only loose plastic on saw is the chain brake or should be and stihl has them on them so i guess theyre junk to.

i run both husky and stihl im also a cheap tightass and will buy wichever deal is the best at the time i dont care wether it stihl or husky.

Well put. Sounds like he has never ran a saw over 70 cc's. Or a pro saw of any kind.

EHH? sorry.wont use,own or run a husky saw.The new ones anyway,the reason being is i dont like how cheap they look and feel and how muck loose plastic there is.They also have a freaking primer bulb.Dont tell me thats not ridiculos.Sorry just wont run one.I love my hucky blower though.

Thanks,
Anthony.C

Truly unbelievable.

Squish?

Interesting thread. I've never used a ported or modded saw, but I have to ask What is "Squish"? I don't think I've ever heard that term before....

Open the muffler and spend lots of time learning to sharpen a chain. there are just as much rewards in a good chain than a "woods" port.

And the clam shell can be ported, but not for 250 bucks.. the big deal about them is the increased speed that comes with a port and the bearings like to spin. but the jug being part of the crankcase also hinders the performance aspect from the not so easily modded compression height.

HAHA,im not brand based really.i just prefer Stihl.There my pride and joy next to my Girl.There like my kids,i just llike the saws.My husky blower has been nothing but good to me.Great machines
Thanks,
Anthony.C

Well put. Sounds like he has never ran a saw over 70 cc's. Or a pro saw of any kind.

Ive Run my old mans 441 magnum.and its packed full of power.Thanks.Its just heavy.I like my 390.ill put some picks up.Its beast chip flap,duel dawgs,Full wrap handle.all kinda of stuff
Anthony.C

HAHA,im not brand based really.i just prefer Stihl.There my pride and joy next to my Girl.There like my kids,i just llike the saws.My husky blower has been nothing but good to me.Great machines
Thanks,
Anthony.C

I don't give a fark what kind of saw it is I just like saws, I'd own any of them and I own several differnt brands....But I really love my Dolmars:cheers:

If it cuts, I'll use it. I'm just a poor white boy that likes to see chips fly, hand me that saw youngun!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it cuts, I'll use it. I'm just a poor white boy that likes to see chips fly, hand me that saw youngun!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHA,There you go.I have an an 088 mag for sale if your interested.To much saw for me. A buddy gave it to me because he blocked up the Carb and so i cleand it and the magneto thing was bad so i replaced it.
Thanks,
Anthony.C

When I stumbled across this site I was tryin to fix a 028 that I had flattened. The amount of info and knowledgable people here hooked me into doing some reading. I didn't know the difference between a clamshell and a pro saw. Squish? What The H#%%? I've learned enough here to fix several saws that others had given up on, and I'm just a carpenter!!! I say, got questions, read and learn. Modded my first muff on my 026 last week, it cuts like crazy now.
Thanks guys!!!!!!

Back