Woods porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a woods port entails is ever evolving. It used to mean not much more than widening the ports. It's only in the last couple of years that you could expect significant compression increases, ignition advance, etc. Builders pushing builders makes for a buyers market:clap:

Brad, many of us were doing more than sanding the ports the last couple years.

I have a Masterminded NE346XP and was concerned about the stock carb on it. It has a limited coil also. Guess I should consider changing them both out. Not sure what carb to go with though.

I have a Masterminded NE346XP and was concerned about the stock carb on it. It has a limited coil also. Guess I should consider changing them both out. Not sure what carb to go with though.

I just finished building a 346 with the complete 357 intake tract and carb. That's a known solution, so nothing new there. If you can find a Walbro 199 carb, they're preferred to the new Zama carb. I build all my Huskies with an unlimited coil. They make tuning so much easier and safer.

The 346 has plenty of carb

so what you guys are saying a ported wildthing like sawtroll's will keep up with my 346xp

Which one would get ported Alderman? I ran a 757 recently and was really impressed with it in stock form. I am sure it would make a great candidate. I would suggest you send your most used saw. All those pro series Shindaiwa's would make great ported saws. You will not be disappointed if you get one ported.

What a woods port entails is ever evolving. It used to mean not much more than widening the ports. It's only in the last couple of years that you could expect significant compression increases, ignition advance, etc. Builders pushing builders makes for a buyers market:clap:

Speak for yourself. I was cutting cylinders and pistons and chambers 10 years ago.

Later
Dan

The factory carb will supply all of the fuel that a woods port will need for a work saw. If you are cutting cookies the walbro 199 will give you a very slight edge.

Change the coil.

Later
Dan

The factory carb will supply all of the fuel that a woods port will need for a work saw. If you are cutting cookies the walbro 199 will give you a very slight edge.

Change the coil.

Later
Dan

Agreed.

I seen about 10% quicker cut times between the carbs on the OE saws you ported Dan.

If it hadnt been for the stop watch you really couldnt tell the difference in the cut using them as a work saw. 357 carb for that little extra for cookie cutting times, but really isnt needed on a work saw. :rock:

You guys sure give Brad a hard time. Maybe it's just that up until the last couple years, all builders have been so super quiet and kept all their modifications secret - whereas builders like Brad, Randy, and Stumpy have started a trend of sharing all. I know when I got my 440 ported by Randy, the norm for Randy was not a cut squish band - rather a pop up piston. Since that time over a year ago, I believe the norm for Randy is cutting the squish band. (Randy, if I have said something that is not correct regarding your porting, please correct me).

Just saying...........

flame suit on

Waylan

Latest posts

Back