Woods porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys sure give Brad a hard time. Maybe it's just that up until the last couple years, all builders have been so super quiet and kept all their modifications secret - whereas builders like Brad, Randy, and Stumpy have started a trend of sharing all. I know when I got my 440 ported by Randy, the norm for Randy was not a cut squish band - rather a pop up piston. Since that time over a year ago, I believe the norm for Randy is cutting the squish band. (Randy, if I have said something that is not correct regarding your porting, please correct me).

Just saying...........

flame suit on

Waylan

Gordon Jennings wrote the Two-Stroke Tuner's Handbook in 1973. Can't get much less secret than that.

Gordon Jennings wrote the Two-Stroke Tuner's Handbook in 1973. Can't get much less secret than that.

Sure but that isn't specific to chainsaws. Sure it gives you the means to figure out a ton about porting but I think what's being discussed is the little details that tie everything together. Chainsaws can get very sensitive and specific.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I didn't realize he ported chainsaws.............and openly posted his porting methods on AS. I believe THAT is the context Brad was referring to.

And just my opinion - I like all the porters on AS for the most part (don't know much about some). BUT I do have to give kudos to Brad as being the first that I remember posting detailed pics and descriptions of his porting methods. Brad even proposed that I have Randy port my 440 as he didn't have time to get on it in a timely manner. In saying that, I'm not trying to short any of the AS porters. Randy did a fantastic job and based on my experience with him, I would most likely get my next saw done by him.

Anyway, sorry for the derail - sometimes it just gets old when it appears that some look real hard for opportunity to jump on someone.

Waylan

What a woods port entails is ever evolving. It used to mean not much more than widening the ports. It's only in the last couple of years that you could expect significant compression increases, ignition advance, etc. Builders pushing builders makes for a buyers market:clap:

I really don't know how so many could disagree with the very first part of this statement. Maybe it was the last part?

I have always thought (and maybe I am wrong), that a "woods port" was more or less the widening of ports, optimizing transfer flow, and squish clearance. I love seeing these GTG build off threads, but what guys call a "woods port" is a loose interpretation. I have thought that maybe the winner didn't necessarily have the most practical work saw, but took the build the farthest. Rant off, but cant say I disagree with the first part of this post. I don't remember seeing 200 psi in a work saw nearly as often as we do now either, right wrong or otherwise.

Edit* I would be interested to hear what a "woods" port mean to others. And to be clear, my post isn't questioning anyones work, just the terminology behind "woods" port. It was a discussion I had with a friend earlier tonight oddly enough.

Last edited:
Any chance someone could post some examples of the chainsaw specific technology that has only been discovered in the last couple of years?

Hum, go figure. Seems to be the most intelligent question asked in this entire thread and it came from a circus act taking a dump. LMAO No disrespect intended it really is a good question. Wish I had an answer for you :biggrinbounce2:

I will say there is old tec from maybe ten years back now that is being reexamined closely by many. The ignition timing advance curve.

As for some of the stated comments I read lol. Nothing much else to say but, there was a lot to be gained from some of it if you read between the lines.

I'll keep my mouth shut now...

:popcorn:

I'm young and don't know much but aren't strato chainsaw engines for big manufacturers a new thing? That has change porting procedures doesn't it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back