Woods white pine climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is a recent climb on a 150+ foot white pine. A good example of why SRT is useful for rec climbing. The basic technique is set a ground anchored 200 ft. static rope, ascend to the TIP, switch over to short rope and lanyard DRT to continue climbing in the crown, the SRT rope stays put, is waiting for the climbers on descent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2Gog-dHVo
-moss

moss, have you ever had your SRT line "readjust" intself downward by breaking a small limb that it passes over? On a high shot such as you show, you obviously can't see precisely the exact track of the line.

Also, is there a reason you anchor to a tree separate from the one you are climbing? Just to save rope?

moss, have you ever had your SRT line "readjust" intself downward by breaking a small limb that it passes over? On a high shot such as you show, you obviously can't see precisely the exact track of the line.

Also, is there a reason you anchor to a tree separate from the one you are climbing? Just to save rope?

I've never had a significant breakout drop on SRT. It will probably happen sooner or later. I inspect my throwline path and rope placement carefully with binoculars before settling for the TIP. I'm very conservative, I don't climb if I can't see what I'm over. Apparently in big redwoods and doug firs people do climb "blind". I'm not comfortable with that but understand it's often the only way you can climb the high settings in the PNW and dense tropical forests.

The thing is, as long as you're over one or two solid limbs, the rope can be over many small branches, especially on the anchor leg side, and they all share the load without breaking. For the climbing leg side of the rope, I want the path pretty clean without anything that could breakout and ride down the rope on me, I think that's a greater hazard then a short breakout drop.

It's mostly convenience to tie to a smaller tree, there are two paths for the rope, for one I drop the throwbag down closer to the trunk for the climb route. The other leg of the rope usually comes out of the tree at an angle so the natural position of the rope tends towards tying off on a different tree. If that makes sense. I often tie off on the same tree if it's easy to move the throwline closer in to the tree and the trunk diameter isn't too huge. The trouble with conifers is that anytime you make moves with the bag in the crown you risk hanging it so I try to keep that to a minimum, just what's required to set a decent rope position up top and a sound ground anchor.
-moss

Latest posts

Back