Woodshed Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minn-Pax

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a question about woodshed design.

When I built a lean-to specifically for storing wood I made it very open, with no walls but enough roof to keep off rain and blowing snow.

My second string woodshed lean-to was built tight with walls and doors. I pulled off one door but kept the doors on the other side shut to let it heat up in the summer and "cook" the moisture out.

Would I be better off with opening it up and allowing cross ventilation?

Pictures

Here are pictures that should have been on the post. Sorry, still learning the routine here.

Minn-Pax said:
I have a question about woodshed design.

When I built a lean-to specifically for storing wood I made it very open, with no walls but enough roof to keep off rain and blowing snow.

My second string woodshed lean-to was built tight with walls and doors. I pulled off one door but kept the doors on the other side shut to let it heat up in the summer and "cook" the moisture out.

Would I be better off with opening it up and allowing cross ventilation?

You need air circulation to dry wood. My belief is to build it as open as possible. Mine is 3 sided with the open side down wind. Doing it over, I would have at least vents on the other three sides if not mostly open. Of course I do not store green wood in it, mine is stacked outside for at least one year to season before moving it it. Drawback there is the additional handling.

Harry K

Woodshed sides

How about using lattice for you sides? It's fairly cheap, will let the air circulate and can have the same properties as a snow fence for drifting snow in the winter? Just a thought.

Millman

Here in Oregon, rain is a big issue in the winter. I built a shed that uses metal on three sides that i can open up in the warm weather.

Solid sides, but not to the ground. Leave a foot or so open at the bottom. Well ventilated roof. Open under the eaves, that kind of thing. Put down cinderblocks, on top of which go pallets, on top of which goes firewood.

I like the cinder block idea. If i were to build a new shed, (mine used to be a single horse stall) I would take some ideas from the solar kiln crowd. I would slope the roof to the south and use a dark colored steel, vent it well....

If the pocketbook will stand it, this looks to me like a great deal. Get it with the sides going down within a foot of the ground, and one end closed. I'd add a few vents at the top, too.

carport_image02.jpg

They are available in different sizes.

Back