working alone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously though. If you're doing trees by yourself, you ain't doing hard trees. May as well put "Landscaper" on the side of your truck and break out your leafblower. Props to those that do trim jobs and don't have to rope #### out but I'm a Tree Service and I take whatever's thrown at me. Could be pride, could be stupidity but I get it done. When I bid dinky little prune jobs I'm generally way outta the range the HO was expecting because I'm insured for, equipped for, and generally geared toward that #### others can't do. My market may be different than others but if you want someone to stand there with some pruning poles and clip away from your house call someone else, it ain't worth my time.

I'll do the prune jobs or whatever comes my way. Money is money. I actually enjoy doing prune work but I still bring some help along. I can't count the times I have gone out to do a little rinky dink job and had the neighbor ask me to do something bigger for them. If you've got your guys there and are ready to go it can turn a $500 day into a $2000 dollar day pretty quick.

I'll do the prune jobs or whatever comes my way. Money is money. I actually enjoy doing prune work but I still bring some help along. I can't count the times I have gone out to do a little rinky dink job and had the neighbor ask me to do something bigger for them. If you've got your guys there and are ready to go it can turn a $500 day into a $2000 dollar day pretty quick.

I can't work that way, md. It's a mental thing. I need a night to ponder what I'm getting into the following day. No way I'll tag a $1500 removal on a day I was doing $500 trim. ####, I don't even have the right shoes on.

To tell the truth, 99% of the stuff I do I could do blindfolded. I have just been doing it for so long. Very few trees come my way these days that are not pretty much elementary. Even the big ones are just doing the same things over and over again, just on a larger scale. Yes each tree poses it's own challenges but your still using the same play book on all of them.

When I worked for other services they would push us to get two done in a day a lot of the time and sometimes three jobs. No telling what all you would be doing. We did it all. I like to push like that now still. I like to line up two or even better three small ones and knock them out in one day. That is usually more lucrative than doing a large removal.

Seriously though. If you're doing trees by yourself, you ain't doing hard trees. May as well put "Landscaper" on the side of your truck and break out your leafblower. Props to those that do trim jobs and don't have to rope #### out but I'm a Tree Service and I take whatever's thrown at me. Could be pride, could be stupidity but I get it done. When I bid dinky little prune jobs I'm generally way outta the range the HO was expecting because I'm insured for, equipped for, and generally geared toward that #### others can't do. My market may be different than others but if you want someone to stand there with some pruning poles and clip away from your house call someone else, it ain't worth my time.
Hell blakes I did this alone

badone_001.jpg

Well the wife was there but really she only read a book don't know many landscapers that do these!

What really gets interesting is when you've got three crews running and you not only have to climb and direct your crew but direct two others. As well as answer the phone, talk to clients, schedule, arrange for log trucks, cranes, make sales calls, give estimates, pay bills... LOL, it's not about just climbing when the business is there. It's more about effective management. That's why I was laughing at that joker on another thread about him saying it's not being professional to use your phone in the tree. He's obviously clueless. If you are the owner as well as the climber there's no way around it... That is if you want to effectively manage and get more than one tree done in a day.

Last edited:
I like to line up two or even better three small ones and knock them out in one day. That is usually more lucrative than doing a large removal.

My rule of thumb is the smaller the job, the greater the percentage of profit. There's always a loss associated with windshield time, roll out, and roll up, but there's more to be made in little stuff, and usually no competition. The bigger the job, the more likely you'll be bidding against others, and the more you'll try to be competitive. At the end of the day, I tend to measure success by how much I bring home and what I had to do to get it.
Steve W.

My rule of thumb is the smaller the job, the greater the percentage of profit. There's always a loss associated with windshield time, roll out, and roll up, but there's more to be made in little stuff, and usually no competition. The bigger the job, the more likely you'll be bidding against others, and the more you'll try to be competitive. At the end of the day, I tend to measure success by how much I bring home and what I had to do to get it.
Steve W.

You sure you don't have this backwards? The little jobs around here have every landscraper in town bidding on it, whereas the big jobs have alot fewer bids. In fact, we often pick up the real jobs as the only bidder.

What's your idea of a small versus big job?

Hell blakes I did this alone

Well the wife was there but really she only read a book don't know many landscapers that do these!

I remember when you first showed that tree, rope. Nasty stuff. There's always exceptions with trees that just take a few well placed cuts to put on the ground but are big enough to intimidate even the most aggressive landscaper.

I remember when you first showed that tree, rope. Nasty stuff. There's always exceptions with trees that just take a few well placed cuts to put on the ground but are big enough to intimidate even the most aggressive landscaper.

Ya know, I truly wish landscapers would be intimidated by pruning, as they ruin the market for tree work leaving no cake for the real tree men.

To tell the truth, 99% of the stuff I do I could do blindfolded. I have just been doing it for so long. Very few trees come my way these days that are not pretty much elementary. Even the big ones are just doing the same things over and over again, just on a larger scale. Yes each tree poses it's own challenges but your still using the same play book on all of them.

When I worked for other services they would push us to get two done in a day a lot of the time and sometimes three jobs. No telling what all you would be doing. We did it all. I like to push like that now still. I like to line up two or even better three small ones and knock them out in one day. That is usually more lucrative than doing a large removal.

One of things I like the most about working for myself is the fact that I can plan my day out ahead of time. Some days I'll book 2 or 3 trim jobs, others I schedule removals and I always know when I wake up in the morning what I'm going to be doing that day.

This also helps me organize my estimates and other bull####. If I have a particularly nasty takedown to do I won't schedule anything that day because I'm not certain when I'll finish. And when I do, I'm not going to want to ride around in the truck for 3 hours. Days where I only have a small trim job booked you can be quite certain I have several hours of legwork already scheduled to be done afterwards.

You sure you don't have this backwards? The little jobs around here have every landscraper in town bidding on it, whereas the big jobs have alot fewer bids. In fact, we often pick up the real jobs as the only bidder.

What's your idea of a small versus big job?

It really depends what you're geared for, beowulf. With your guys setup it'd be damn near impossible to make money on trimwork. You just don't need all that equipment, and that equipment isn't making you money by sitting there idling. When I do trimwork my expenses are minimal. I make $1000 with one tank of gas in a 200T and 10 bucks in diesel. This is, of course, when I find the customers willing to pay my prices for trim work.

Steve W.

This is generally the way it works for me here. I think the increased profit comes from the simple fact that people are less likely to choke on the price when it comes to these smaller jobs. It's a lot easier for them to say go ahead to a $450 job, than a $2500 job.

This is generally the way it works for me here. I think the increased profit comes from the simple fact that people are less likely to choke on the price when it comes to these smaller jobs. It's a lot easier for them to say go ahead to a $450 job, than a $2500 job.

What always amazes me is what you guy's get for a 700.00 tree here it is 2500 there:dizzy:
On the rare times a 2k bid is accepted here it looks like this!

008.jpg

007.jpg

but least we get good grub :hmm3grin2orange:

possomsauce.jpg

Last edited:
I do feel for ya rope.. you should move, or hire some illegals and get the salted whip out. Go for volume! Lol.

I just picked up another small job for $275 taking three dead leads off a maple with the bucket. Should take about an hour. Best part is I got to rob another customer from my ex neighbor. That and the fact that it's a big tree, that should be fully dead by the end of next year. $275 now, $1500- $1800 next time. :)

I work alone when I can. For one, it's less money for me, two I'm not busy enough to have 1+ more guys working for me ( sometimes I am highs, and lows ) three, the guy I was using most often has gotten on my last nerve and he unknowingly worked his last day with me Saturday. He CONSTANTLY #####es about needing cash. Not necessarily an issue, other than annoying, but he will NOT sacrifice the things he doesn't need to save moeny, like pool league, bowling league for entire family, smoking, scratch tickets ( he bought $60 one day, and earned $70 with me??? , plus numerous other stupid crap he wastes money on ( none of which ever goes towards improving himself in the tree business, or towards learning more ) I guess I just vented a lttle, and some people just can't be helped. He'll go do pool or bowling on a Saturday instead of earning money with me, then he wonders why I did it myself, or got someone else. ( I have bills, trees brins money to me, simple choice, survive and work my tail off, or sit and complain and do nothing.I don't want to train another guy though either, so I try to do it all myself, plus no one has the stamina I do, I'll work 10-12 hours with no real breaks, just healthy snacks, water, gatorade, etc..., so it's tough to just dump my one knucklehead, but it's done. I think I went off subject.. LOL

I work alone when I can. For one, it's less money for me, two I'm not busy enough to have 1+ more guys working for me ( sometimes I am highs, and lows ) three, the guy I was using most often has gotten on my last nerve and he unknowingly worked his last day with me Saturday. He CONSTANTLY #####es about needing cash. Not necessarily an issue, other than annoying, but he will NOT sacrifice the things he doesn't need to save moeny, like pool league, bowling league for entire family, smoking, scratch tickets ( he bought $60 one day, and earned $70 with me??? , plus numerous other stupid crap he wastes money on ( none of which ever goes towards improving himself in the tree business, or towards learning more ) I guess I just vented a lttle, and some people just can't be helped. He'll go do pool or bowling on a Saturday instead of earning money with me, then he wonders why I did it myself, or got someone else. ( I have bills, trees brins money to me, simple choice, survive and work my tail off, or sit and complain and do nothing.I don't want to train another guy though either, so I try to do it all myself, plus no one has the stamina I do, I'll work 10-12 hours with no real breaks, just healthy snacks, water, gatorade, etc..., so it's tough to just dump my one knucklehead, but it's done. I think I went off subject.. LOL

Welcome to the world of groundies. It don't matter how much you pay them, they'll be broke tomorrow. Get used to it. You are going to have to deal with that in this business. It just goes with the territory.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't intend to spend all day or even an hour in the tree then come down and do ground work. I'll hire someone to do that.

I will do some job's alone but it just depends on the job. Friday afternoon I dead wooded 2 70+ foot Red oaks which included 3 6" dia limbs 20+ feet long limbs. I used 3 ropes for rigging and lowered everything big, myself. This would have been eaiser with help but I got it done safely. I always wear ppe and choose these jobs carefully but it would be great to always have a second set of hand to help out. :dizzy:

One important distinction that I think needs to be made and it has been somewhat addressed, but there is a big difference between working alone and being alone while working. Working alone is personal choice and may or may not be efficient. Being alone is taking on additional risk and not a good idea in my book. I have had my wife or daughter sit in the truck and read or do computer work just so I would have someone there (remote area). I didn't need assistance, they were just there to summon help if necessary. Even a kid can perhaps fill this role by staying out of the way and playing with their Gameboy but keeping an eye on things. If you can't have anyone there to get help in this obviously risky endeavor then you don't really have all the necessary "equipment" for the job.

Latest posts

Back