#Working with Family! ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treecutterjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a no count brother or family member they work with? Like a brother or? When I work with my brother we can never agree on things or seem to get along. he doesn't want to listen or follow orders/ take criticisms;etc.
any others have "working with family" issues? Or is it all sunshine & rainbows?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Does anyone else have a no count brother or family member they work with? Like a brother or? When I work with my brother we can never agree on things or seem to get along. he doesn't want to listen or follow orders/ take criticisms;etc.
any others have "working with family" issues? Or is it all sunshine & rainbows?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

No sunshine, no rainbows,,,
Jeff

I do NOT employ family anymore. Have had cousins work for me and my brother too. Hell, let my dad foreman some jobs for me because he's retired and wanted some extra money. Every time it went to hell in a hand basket, don't ever employ family. Maybe it's me but they seem to feel entitled because they're related and can either do nothing and get payed or try to take a leadership role in something they know little or nothing about. It's just bad business.

Another little tid bit, don't go into business with friends if you want to stay that way.

Family and friends as employees are usually a no win situation. Father son/daughter/wife that sometimes works out. But in the end if you are going home together to much baggage gets dragged along. Over the years been up and down this road. Now days at times I could use some help, hiring isn't going to work due to Govt. regs and ins., under the table type is also not a good choice - mostly ins. wise there. Family still falls under the same Govt + ins problems with the added hassles. Isn't worth my sanity to deal with any more.

I work with my dad helping with his fire wood business. We work great together. Never a problem. But I also worked for my uncle falling timber with a cousin as a cutting pardner. That went all to hell quick. He comes in hungover not wanting to do anything because "his dad owns the outfit". So now I only help my dad part time and cut timber for another company.

Probably best to tell them it's temporary work so when you are tired of dealing with them just tell them you are not as busy right now. Unless they really make you some money and hustle then you might keep them on, just tell them that part later after they have been with you a while. It takes quite a few people to find one worth keeping anyway.

Latest posts

Back