Worn out 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarhollow

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a stihl 026 today seems to be worn out, compression seems low, and no spark.
need to decide if I should get a meteor or nwp cylinder/piston from bailey's or go the huztl way.
I just could not pass up this saw for 100 bills, the bar and chain is still has plenty of life in it

You probably only need a piston and a cylinder cleanup. Meteors are cheap and very high quality. Diagnosing the spark is a different animal. Check your gap and plug before buying a new coil. Expect to need a carb rebuild and new hoses.
Congrats!

Just because the compression is low doesn’t mean the piston is scored. You may just need rings or a piston and rings. Meteor or Tecomec with caber rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled apart my worn 026 to find this.
61b5ccdb3074eeeee2c42b1d78228fae.png
855a318b0f06595a4bb6240ef30886d8.png
e875a3c6a09ef42a1c975316ce2d8e47.png

The parts I ended up replacing were
Flywheel side bearing 16002 SKF c3 bearing $6
Clutch side oem bearing $14
Set of gaskets and seals (oem) $16
Fuel line (oem) $8
Impulse hose (oem) $5
Carburetor kit $5
Air filter $15
Tecomec piston with caber rings $20
Oem cir clips $3

Made for a good saw.

The parts I ended up replacing were
Flywheel side bearing 16002 SKF c3 bearing $6
Clutch side oem bearing $14
Set of gaskets and seals (oem) $16
Fuel line (oem) $8
Impulse hose (oem) $5
Carburetor kit $5
Air filter $15
Tecomec piston with caber rings $20
Oem cir clips $3

Made for a good saw.

You may can check your luck with this guys to. They have high quality parts. Better then OEM:
https://discountonlineparts.com/chainsaws/?c=Cylinder Assemblies&sc=026&b=Stihl&id=15263
And not only for 026....
Watch this video:

Why is everyone assuming the cylinder and cylinder are bad? The OP never said the piston was scored

thank you all, i'm gonna have to tear into it and at very least put new rings in it. from all the opinions it makes sense to go with top quality internal parts at the very least. it just another to put in the shed till the shop gets done being built. Since I'm new to saw rebuilding but not new to engine rebuilding I like to have new parts in front of me when I tear it down so I can put it right back together. For decades I've used wiesco pistons in all the outboards I have rebuilt and it sure is worth it to put the best quality parts inside an engine.

I've rebuilt ms260s recently.

First needed a piston, cylinder cleaned right up. I through a hutzl piston in it and it's been running strong ever since..

Second was a complete teardown..

Installed OEM bearings and seals and topped it off with a farmertec piston and cylinder.

The plating on the cylinder from farnertec was ok but the ports were terribly small and rough looking..

I ported that cylinder, decked it and did a muffler mod and timing advance.

That saw is a strong runner right now and I've only put 3 tanks through it.

Go to your local stihl dealer and order a set of gaskets, should cost roughly $16. Has all the gaskets and seals.

Thanks again for all the great info, the pawn shop where I found this has I think 3 more 026's, a 261 and 360 but the prices are all over the place from $199 to $280.. as you might guess I'm a hoarder of things with engines and stihl chainsaws is my latest obsession especially the pro models. I'm tempted to make them an offer for all of them
As to this $100 026....It has spark, put the CDI neon spark checker on it today and it lit up strong, now I need to find my compression test tools, carpenter was here all day and should be working on new shop later this week, moving has been a long drawn out task.

Back