Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Worried about spruce tree. Dying?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by jpasquini, Nov 13, 2017.

1. jpasquini

jpasquini ArboristSite Lurker

Of course you want to say that nothing is wrong, this is just something having to do with the season.... but its getting to the point where I may have to tell myself I'm in denial.
    I've seen this happen about five years ago, possibly not this bad. I do not know what the cause was, or what resolved it. Is it drought stress? Because I don't think its been particularly dry.
    Lately it has just started getting chilly in the Midwest, lows in the 30s but nothing drastic.
    It seems urgent action is needed. But, the wrong remedy could be fatal, sometimes its best to leave things alone.

Anyone have any thoughts? This tree would be an utter disaster to die, both in cost of removal and homeowner value.
    Not to mention, just plain tragic. :(

Attached Files:

2. BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast Addicted to ArboristSite

I suspect either needle cast (a fungus) or spruce aphid (a bug), the symptoms are similar. Neither are short term fatal, but stress the tree which may lead, over time, to secondary problems.

You need to have a qualified Plant Health Care PHC arborist come and have a look at it. Tough to tell without being up close and personal.

ATH and Jason Douglas like this.
  3. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Operative

Closer look indeed.

4. jpasquini

I have never noticed any oozing, sap, or holes but I'm checking tomorrow in light I'll get some more pics. Perhaps it looks a little like this (first link), and I believe this is a Norway Spruce (??)
    Except that I have not noticed any purple leaves. Cytospora would seem a dreadful diagnosis as the remedy says to cut back all affected branches. Which is just not workable with something of this size, lol.
    But given the two choices (second link), I would opt for the Needle Cast.
    "To prevent stress on your Norway spruce, avoid overwatering it.". Well its a good thing I didn't suspect this as drought stress! At least, I think :/

https://hort.uwex.edu/articles/cytospora-canker/

https://sciencing.com/norway-spruce-diseases-treatments-5623504.html

5. jpasquini

OK some more pics of the browning Spruce tree.
    There are some holes. But they are just in a few places, and now that I see them, I remember these, at least a few of them. Some are at least 3-4 years old. There is a small amount of sap but this is not all over the tree, you wouldn't notice unless you searched.

Attached Files:

6. BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast Addicted to ArboristSite

The holes that are in horizontal bands look like sapsucker (bird) holes to me. Not sure about the single holes. Sapsucker holes can be an entry point for fungal attacks, but by themselves pose no harm to the tree. Around here, they are pretty common in the ornamental spruces.

Jason Douglas likes this.