Worth of Blackwalnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm Going to be removing a Blackwalnut tree from the side of my girlfriends parents house. Does anyone have any idea how much a piece of black walnut is worth. I figure the bole is about 2 feet at the base (very little taper ) and about 30 to 40 feet long. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Most homeowners unaware of the market are surprised to learn that mills usually do NOT want residential logs (Too big of a chance of nails, etc. in the wood). If you are lucky enough to find a small local mill willing to take it, they will probably let you dump it for free. Your chances of actually getting money out of a log are near nil.
Believe me, after 15 years in the tree business, and all the money I have spent dumping wood, I have only had ONE job where we got paid for logs. I had 16 pine trees to remove, and we used a crane. A buddy with a tri-axle dump truck took the logs to the pulp mill and kept the money in exchange for the hauling. So actually, I didn't even get paid, just got the hauling for free.

Call Miller Hardwood North Tonawanda 694-0562 or Martin Hardwood Niagara Falls 297-1892. Depending on the grain structure of the wood Blackwalnut can be worth something. When I lived up that way We used alot of Black Walnut for high end furniture. We got it out of Jamestown Hardwood. The real value to you would be if you milled it and seasoned it on your own. If that is not possible you should still be able to get something for. More than it's value in firewood. Here in Montana if the wind takes down a quality tree We buck it length and call the local logger who picks it up when he is in the area and it getssold to the local mill.

Iether he is hiding it in his stackes or it is uncomon enough in Montana that the mills are not concerned. Here in S/E WI I can get $.20/bf if I have a load for a guy with a wood miser. The bigger mills will not even look at anything that is urban or homested.

I had a 9 ft that measured 28 of heartwood on the small end, no sweep, and no visible knots. I got $30 for it after calling around 10 places. A number of people would take it if I delivered it, but I had no means.

What I had to do is an area code search for "sawmill" on several internet yellow pages. Now he has a contrtact with a guy doing steakbed decks and he will only take maple:rolleyes:. Another guy is doing cants for a pallet company and only wants oak....

Thanks for the imput guys. I don't think there will be anything to worry about nails etc. The tree is out in the country and the only reason it's coming down is that the MNR or CP rail ( I don't know wich ) are escavating the ditch along the side of their property this will end up removing more than half the root system and since there is nothing to protect it from high winds we figured it should come down when we want it to not when it wants to.

If the tree is free of limbs for 30+feet and has no metal the butt log should bring .85 to$1.20 pbf.WE have been getting $1200 per 1000pbf for grade logs delivered.Walnut and cherry are bringing a good price right now here in Indiana(as well as white oak).IT depend on the local market and who's buying.Just make sure you cut it so you don't ruin the butt log and the high value wood.:D Dan

Definatly. Plunge the center of your inge so that the holding wood is only a few inches on each side. this will keep it from splintering and loosing value.

Hardwood Timber to sell

I have a small stand of walnut, ash, pecan, oak and other hardwood trees. These are tall and straight with few or no knots. I am located about 70 miles N.E. of Dallas, Texas.

I am seeking the best way to market this timber. I would be interested in any information anyone can give me as to how go about this.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back