Wot in tarnation...spark plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBrown

Brickbrick
Reaction score
Anybody know what exactly is goin on here?

Got this saw on the cheap, (MS460) went to check its spark plug and noticed this.
029A8474-900E-48BB-91DB-1960A801F436.jpegI’m hoping someone just didn’t want to replace the magneto or the wire connecting the magneto/spark plug boot so they just rigged this up to get it attached. Saw will start and run like this. You can see zip ties in some pics, the spark plug boot was zip tied over it for safety I suppose.
I haven’t looked under the pull cord cover at the actual magneto yet...let me know if you need pics of that for diagnosis/curiosity.

Attachments

• D75BD844-2F1B-415F-AF69-4B4AD01D9CEE.jpeg
    D75BD844-2F1B-415F-AF69-4B4AD01D9CEE.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 74
  • F5E4CB49-F4CD-4EC2-9DD0-DBB1E959D8A0.jpeg
    F5E4CB49-F4CD-4EC2-9DD0-DBB1E959D8A0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 604C4697-2CCC-4F8E-9770-792EDD9C4BA0.jpeg
    604C4697-2CCC-4F8E-9770-792EDD9C4BA0.jpeg
    1,023 KB · Views: 77
I rebuilt a Poulan 2000 this summer. I was getting intermediate spark. When I would put the spark tester on it, it would literally fire up. I pushed the boot back and found the picture below. I twisted the wire, pre-tinned the wire and the long leg of the coil, then soldered them together. I did use Dielectric grease on the boot, slid it back on and it fired right up. I also fixed my friends lawn mower and weedeater the same way. If the solder breaks, I will simply re-solder it.

2 twisted wire.JPG

Wish I had a stainless bench.

I keep the old rusty metal one well oiled. :yes::laugh:
I prefer the wood for my saws, don't want to scratch them lol.
I have an old desk that I'll work on them on, not sure of the material on it, but it's easy to clean and won't scratch as much as metal would, not that it's much of a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Hope you're doing well.

I bought Horse Stall Mat to go on the concrete floor and on my work bench from Tractor Supply 4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in. Thick Rubber Stall Mat
It's $47 each now, but was less than $20 when I bought it years ago. You can get a 4 x 3 x 1/2" for $27. Will not absorb gas or oil. Oh yeah, remember what burning tires used to smell like, wait until you cut it.

BTW JJ, has someone stolen the patent rights to your name, or is this produced by you :rolleyes:

Redneck bar dresser.jpg

I prefer the wood for my saws, don't want to scratch them lol.
I have an old desk that I'll work on them on, not sure of the material on it, but it's easy to clean and won't scratch as much as metal would, not that it's much of a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Hope you're doing well.
:laughing:

I have 2 other benches that have wood tops. But what your said is down right. :laugh::laugh:

Living the retired life. = Life it good. Hope all is well up north.

Anybody know what exactly is goin on here?

Got this saw on the cheap, (MS460) went to check its spark plug and noticed this.
View attachment 882252I’m hoping someone just didn’t want to replace the magneto or the wire connecting the magneto/spark plug boot so they just rigged this up to get it attached. Saw will start and run like this. You can see zip ties in some pics, the spark plug boot was zip tied over it for safety I suppose.
I haven’t looked under the pull cord cover at the actual magneto yet...let me know if you need pics of that for diagnosis/curiosity.
Okay, that looks like something I'd think about doing in a real pinch - and then think better of...

Latest posts

Back