• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Would someone walk me through chainsaw competition technique?

chainsawaddict

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Ok, here's where im coming from. I entered a polar bear festival chainsaw competition this winter and won the mid range class with my stock MS310. I got hooked and went out and bought a 660. I cut a lot of firewood (15 cords/year) so have some experience with a saw. I just want to know the basic techniques for speed in the competitions. Ive had people telling me to use the dawgs, to not use the dawgs, to rock the saw, to not rock the saw...I am getting confused. I figured this is probably the best place to get the right info.

Right now, i just saw like hell.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
the competitions that I have seen on tv, look like the saw is held level and on the down cut the saw just falls through the wood. On the up cut it looks like the saw is held level and lifted through the wood. I don't remember seeing any dogs.

I like bring dead threads back to life.

lumberjack48

lumberjack48

ArboristSite Operative
The first thing i did with a new saw is take the dogs off, all they do is hang you up. The chain should self feed its self, if at anytime you have to push theres something wrong.