Would someone walk me through chainsaw competition technique?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok, here's where im coming from. I entered a polar bear festival chainsaw competition this winter and won the mid range class with my stock MS310. I got hooked and went out and bought a 660. I cut a lot of firewood (15 cords/year) so have some experience with a saw. I just want to know the basic techniques for speed in the competitions. Ive had people telling me to use the dawgs, to not use the dawgs, to rock the saw, to not rock the saw...I am getting confused. I figured this is probably the best place to get the right info.

Right now, i just saw like hell.

the competitions that I have seen on tv, look like the saw is held level and on the down cut the saw just falls through the wood. On the up cut it looks like the saw is held level and lifted through the wood. I don't remember seeing any dogs.

I like bring dead threads back to life.

The first thing i did with a new saw is take the dogs off, all they do is hang you up. The chain should self feed its self, if at anytime you have to push theres something wrong.

Yup, no dawgs for racing. I like to push on the saw just a little, it helps the saw jump out of the wood on the changeovers, makes the switches a little quicker.

Back