Would you climb this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell me, whats the difference between logging and commercial land clearing? Ive wipped out a few hundred acres in my day, and Im not old homes. Also, to the best of my knowlage, Im the only one in my hood that'll drop what others would climb/bucket for several hours. Im not sayin' leveling a forest isnt hard, Im saying Im doing the same thing, only next to high voltage power lines, busy roads and highways, and between million $ homes. Ive had my fair share of close calls, but Ive never barber chaired myself over a distance, or whatever happened to you. I just dont like the way you completely ignored what the man said about not being able to drop anything, and then talking smak about almost killing yourself like its no big deal. Take a pill, have some more moonshine, and go away. Geez, your only 23. Now I get the cockyness. You'll grow out of it jr, hopefully before it gets you killed.

The difference is I fall all the good stuff that is worth lots of $$ & you cut the brush that I stomped 10 years ago, that's my take on it anyways. . . .

You might as well preach to the quire dude cause I don't care to hear any of the "I'm not a logger but I damn sure know what it's like" BS. I chose to do the job I do cause I love the work, not so I can make stories. . . Power lines, gas lines, grave yards, roads, phone boxes, cars, sheds, houses, fences, creeks, leave trees. I have seen all that **** too Jack.

& The accident I described earlier had nothing to do with barber chair. . .

How many of these do you cut when you are clearing land Jr.? ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in 03' we turned an Oak forest into an 18 hole golf course, so there were probly only a few hundred or couple thousand Oaks that came out of there. Brush you stompped ten years ago? Thats pretty funny. 110ft lightning struck Cottonwoods rotted to the hilt, Silver maples rotted so bad you cant figure out how there standing, you have to plunge cut cuz theres not enough good wood to notch. I live in what was one of the top three fastest growing counties in the country for over 10 years before the economy crashed. All we ever did before 08' was knock down residential monsters or clear land, and Im not talking brush JR! Thats what a brushcat is for. You guys got your popcorn ready yet? Hey JPS, trust me, after hundreds of years of evolution, us Polocks have developed cast iron livers. Its the Native Americans and Irish that have only been drinking for a couple hundred years that need to be carefull. They cant process it like we can. Pops started @7, died @78. Liver was flawless till the end.

I have an friend who also works for me whos liver is shot. Sirosis. He was just put on a doner list. He is 56. He quit drinking a year ago but the damage is done. I have noticed him getting winded all to easy dragging brush so I did alittle research. It appears that he cant get enough oxygen into his blood. It is my understanding he will be dead within two years without a donor. He is Italian....

But he's not really asking if you'd climb it, but what would assure you that it's good to go.

Anyone could type in that they'd go up to above the defect, cut a notch, place a wedge and pull it backwards with a truck rope.

Really,
I didn't read the whole thread.. still think since the title is "would you climb this" that is what he is asking.. The point is that failure was casued by weakness at the co-dom inclusion.. that does not effect the integrity of the wood on the standing side.. SO the remaining wood just below the rip is not inherently unstable.. Abscent other signs of fatigue, such as compreession cracks, splits or decay, the wood just below the rip is not weaker than the wood above the rip. They are both just about as beefy, only issue is the additional lvereage on the lower portion of wood... SO it may look unsafe to the lay observer, but I still would climb it without much hesitation.. Might even get scared a little, but that is just the body doing its thing. In this case I trust the mind over the body..

Then when he said it stood through a couple storms.. well that makes it completely clear.. If I was going to take the top out, I woudl climb and treat it no different than any heavy backleaner. I'll often set up the notch and back cut, then come down and get out of the DZ for the drop. Gotta work with people you can trust your life to though...

I have a 4x4 post that is nicknamed "Insurance" that I ratchet strap to splits like that to stiffen em up a bit.

Any updates on that one yet Doug? I can come up and climb it for you but its gonna cost you lunch:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a 4x4 post that is nicknamed "Insurance" that I ratchet strap to splits like that to stiffen em up a bit.

Any updates on that one yet Doug? I can come up and climb it for you but its gonna cost you lunch:hmm3grin2orange:

Now you're talking!

I was kinda thinking the same thing in the back of my mind.

And then with that bit of added safety and reassurance out of the way, time to get up there and whip the piss outta that spindly little piece once and for all! :laugh:

There's old (fill in the blank)
and there's bold (fill in the blank)
But there are no
old, bold (fill in the blank)

My mentor use to always say that to me,
Theres old tree guys and bold tree guys, but There is no old bold tree guys.

Words of wisdom i say hes 50 still climbing everyday and doesnt own a bucket truck or a crane.

Ya know...thats really not that bad of an idea. And the post thing is ok to :laugh: . I could call HO and tell her I know a guy who will put her on ground for an xtra value meal? (super size obv). I havent heard anything at all. Truth is I am to busy to care. Ya know what ...I have HO daughters email. I think I will drop her a note and see if I can see whats up, maybe I can get alittle info.

Back in 03 huh, what happend to the oaks?

Burned a lot on site to save hauling costs. Used to sell 1-2k face cords of firewood a year. Sold some to the log mill. Whatever was too big or crappy went thru Mr. Tubgrinder. Used to sell THOUSANDS of yards of mulch a year to! That was the job that would not end, I mean that in a good way;)

Whats wrong jackass? don't wanna argue anymore?
How much does a yard of mulch whey? Isn't that more of a concrete term?? Pulp loads usually go 83,000. Usually 2 a day along with logs. .

You so silly JR. Its relevent to what part of the country your in. Dont sell to many logs up here, you spend more in trucking than you get for the wood. Blow a tire and you lose the price of the load. I could give a flyin flip what mulch weighs a yard. Kinda changes if it rains, dont it dumbass? We sell by the yard, not volume. Have some more jack, crank the skynyrnd, fall on your 056, and piss off. (Resident Jackass means that arguing with me is like wrestling with a pig. Sooner or later you have to realize that the pig is having fun!:msp_w00t:) Now lets take this elsewhere, This is Aces thread and we've hijacked it with nonsense.

You so silly JR. Its relevent to what part of the country your in. Dont sell to many logs up here, you spend more in trucking than you get for the wood. Blow a tire and you lose the price of the load. I could give a flyin flip what mulch weighs a yard. Kinda changes if it rains, dont it dumbass? We sell by the yard, not volume. Have some more jack, crank the skynyrnd, fall on your 056, and piss off. (Resident Jackass means that arguing with me is like wrestling with a pig. Sooner or later you have to realize that the pig is having fun!:msp_w00t:) Now lets take this elsewhere, This is Aces thread and we've hijacked it with nonsense.

Oh brush clearer, the reason I asked how much a yard of mulch weighs is because it is a stupid way to brag about how much you did haha.

it may be fun for you, but you are boring me now so I'm finished, Go yard some mulch, #####:msp_rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish that have only been drinking for a couple hundred years that need to be carefull.

Whiskey comes from the Gaelic uisgae (life water), they've been distilling for a few thousand probably :laugh: My take on why it seems they can't handle it is from the centuries of Brittanic occupation, they killed off most of the gene pool that did not sit in the corner an go all maudlin.

FWIW

I have to agree with you on the nature of mill sales in the midwest. I've worked in several Appalachian states and it is much easier to sell a short load there.

We had a full load of nice looking logs a year or two ago and they downgraded more the half. Said we could leave them for firewood or load them up ourselves. Barely paid for the fuel to get there :rolleyes:

Back